Old
Koir (Offline)
Meow.

03-15-2011, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YuriTokoro View Post
Hi.
Could someone correct my English?

Four days after the Massive Earthquakes in Japan.

Four days have passed since the Earthquakes occurred. Japan is at the edge of a radioactive accident now. The leaking radioactivity level is increasing and I believe this is more serious than the earthquakes.

In addition, as most power plants have stopped and the Government is enforcing planned outages, the capital region is in total confusion.
Last night, Tokyo Electric Power Company didn’t announce when and where today’s blackouts would be happening. At about 4 AM this morning, an earthquake happened which woke me up. I turned on the TV to check the epicenter and the intensity, and saw the TV showed the blackout would be from 6:20 AM to 10 AM in this area.
I wanted to know that earlier! Many other people and most railroad companies must have thought the same.
Many factories and trains have stopped due to the gross incompetence of Tokyo Electric Power Company.

At about 10 AM this morning, I went to a supermarket.
There were a long line of shoppers in front of the shop that went around the corner. The numbers of people who enter the market were limited so we had to wait in line.
Batteries, flashlights, candles, portable gas stoves, small gas canisters, rice, pot noodles, bottled water, milk, eggs, bread and some other things had been sold out already.
My first priority was cat food today, and I was able to buy three bags of it. I also bought some bacon and rice cakes on impulse.
I got home before the blackout would have started. But then, a city office vehicle was driving down the road beside my house announcing that the blackout would be from 11 AM to 1 PM. It was only five minutes to 11 AM.
Again, I wanted to know that earlier.
Tohoku Electric Power Company has been saying that there would not be radiation leakage any more, but the situation is getting worse. Are the Electric Power Companies knocking Japan down!?

Thank you.
Notable revisions:

"Japan is at the edge of a radioactive accident now." -- preposition 'at' added to more fully imply the precarious situation in the sentence. Additionally the next two sentences were combined to introduce a concept and the writer's opinion of the concept.

"...didn’t announce when and where today’s blackouts would be happening." -- in the time frame of the sentence, the blackouts had not happened yet, so a verb tense that reflects a certain future action is required.

"There were a long line of shoppers in front of the shop that went around the corner." -- as before, two sentences sharing the same concept and observation were combined to increase readability.

"I also bought some bacon and rice cakes on impulse." -- 'on impulse' is a saying that describes an action done with no previous planning.

Opinion:

Still seems to be quite unsettled there, Yuri. I share your annoyance and frustration, but I'm also thinking they're doing the best they can under unbelieveable stress and circumstances.

Keep safe and warm, Yuri. We're sending all the good wishes we can!

Fortunately, there is one woman in this world who can control me.

Unfortunately for you, she is not here.

"Ride for ruin, and the world ended!"