View Single Post
(#21 (permalink))
Old
WingsToDiscovery (Offline)
JF Noob

04-03-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
But yeah.. it particularly annoys me how this stereotype feeds overall into whitey's superiority complex over not just Japanese... but Asians in general and is really not all that different to how whitey sees itself as superior to the black man.

In the same way as Africans or Arabs are stereotyped as "savage" and "stupid" (or at the very least not as smart).. Asians are stereotyped as being effeminate (or at the very least not as manly).
I think this takes things a bit too far out of context. If someone gives you some kind of empirical data that shows a particular trend to be true (such as the "inch" discussion before), I don't think it's necessary to grasp at something like racist undertones and link them to a topic that may have a less desirable outcome for at least one party (in this case, the claim against asians).

When discussing national average, we're given just that, an average. I have no problem admitting that (since I'm American), I'm sure a deal of black men may be on the higher end of the average spectrum for the American national average. That's not to say that all black men are packing, but biologically there seem to be trends to show that they have the potential to be bigger. But although they may be racially black, they still contribute to the national average as Americans, which could be a potential factor in international size differences. America isn't just white people, so I don't know how (for at least America's sake), the white man is at it again to bring other races down.

Similarly, you brought up Camaroon as the largest sized nation. Well a quick search showed that the population size is of men 15 and over (taking into account puberty) is only about 9 million. Compare that to the US which has about 118 million in the same age bracket. One sample size is 20x larger than the other, so there's going to be MUCH more skewed data as a result. So of course we could acknowledge that they may have the highest "concentration," but does that really have the same relevance when knowing what the population size is? It's like the fattest nation in the world has a population in the thousands. Half of America is obese (150 million). Which is a stronger statistic? This isn't "whitey" trying to make himself feel superior, it's objectively looking at data and weighing it.

I'm not a cynic; I just like to play Devil's Advocate once in a while.
My photos from Japan and around the world:
http://www.flickr.com/dylanwphotography