View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-04-2011, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsToDiscovery View Post
I think this takes things a bit too far out of context. If someone gives you some kind of empirical data that shows a particular trend to be true (such as the "inch" discussion before), I don't think it's necessary to grasp at something like racist undertones and link them to a topic that may have a less desirable outcome for at least one party (in this case, the claim against asians).

When discussing national average, we're given just that, an average. I have no problem admitting that (since I'm American), I'm sure a deal of black men may be on the higher end of the average spectrum for the American national average. That's not to say that all black men are packing, but biologically there seem to be trends to show that they have the potential to be bigger. But although they may be racially black, they still contribute to the national average as Americans, which could be a potential factor in international size differences. America isn't just white people, so I don't know how (for at least America's sake), the white man is at it again to bring other races down.

Similarly, you brought up Camaroon as the largest sized nation. Well a quick search showed that the population size is of men 15 and over (taking into account puberty) is only about 9 million. Compare that to the US which has about 118 million in the same age bracket. One sample size is 20x larger than the other, so there's going to be MUCH more skewed data as a result. So of course we could acknowledge that they may have the highest "concentration," but does that really have the same relevance when knowing what the population size is? It's like the fattest nation in the world has a population in the thousands. Half of America is obese (150 million). Which is a stronger statistic? This isn't "whitey" trying to make himself feel superior, it's objectively looking at data and weighing it.
Eh? I think you're referring to how data is SUPPOSED to be looked at while I'm talking about how data is used to reinforce bogus stereotypes.

I've been privy to such stereotypes being expressed quite a lot and I don't think you can deny that it happens and permeates society to an extent.

The data on nations is skewed no doubt.. I only really brought it up because RealJames thought the French were the biggest. lol... I just wanted him to know that if his hypothetical daughter decides to "play the odds" then he's going to have black grandchildren. (Which of course there is nothing wrong with)