(#71 (permalink))
Old
TalnSG (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to TalnSG
04-14-2011, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealJames View Post
I'm not sure that I see opposition to a language barrier as a racist thing. In the above situation I personally wouldn't oppose the marriage but I wouldn't be upset at someone who did, certainly not call them racist, maybe selfish though.

Culture would just be the same but to a lesser extent, and while it might be selfish as hell to want to associate with the same culture for the sake of ease, it's not a prejudice.
If it is only a case of the family objecting to the obstacles the couple would encounter due to language barriers, then yes it is an understandable and reasonable objection. However, it is an objection that I would acknowledge and then dismiss. But there are instances where a difference in language sparks an absolutely a prejudicial and bigotted response. I encountered it as a child and I see it frequently. Because you speak differently assumptions are made and judgements pronounced with no factual basis. It can even be as simple as phrasing or a different accent in the same language that triggers unwarranted and harmful discrimination as severe as if there was a racial difference.

And in many cases of what may be perceived as racial discrimination the family members are not racist at all, but are raising objections out of concern for what the couple will have to deal with because of the prejudice of others. It is a valid objection that a couple should consider and be mindful of, but not racisim on the part of the family. And there are plenty of other obstacles to happy marriages so this should not be a deciding factor any more than language.

Only an open mind and open heart can be filled with life.
Find your voice; silence will not protect you.