View Single Post
(#24 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atredies View Post
we can argue about this through an unconventionally different light.

people should never be discouraged from their own poor english grammar in this internationally connected world where there are more people who speak english as their second language. bad english grammar helps spread english across the globe. image is the main drive of the modern world from economics to culture. so it is more natural to see the image of the language so-called words is more important than grammar.

sometimes the best way to respect english on a global stage is to have an anti-academian argument towards the grammatical aspect of english.

never be too discouraged from grammar, boys.
I disagree. Grammar is of vital importance when it comes to learning English. English is a language full of words (and sometimes contractions) that can be easily mistaken for other words that sound just like them, but have completely different meanings.

Ex) your, you're
there, their, they're
through, threw

I think it's especially important to learn the meanings and applications of words like these early on. It's becoming very common for even native speakers to misuse words like the ones mentioned above due to laziness and general apathy towards proper usage. However, I understand that those just starting out wouldn't necessarily get these details right away, but they still need to be reinforced.

Last edited by myk : 04-21-2011 at 03:04 PM.