JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
tokioprincess1 (Offline)
New to JF

04-12-2011, 07:32 PM

i don't really think english is that easy...personally i think it's the basic grammar that makes english first language worldwide...i mean...it musn't be right at 100%, but most of people will understand it...for example...when you are about to go for a vacation in another country using an another language, it's easier for you to learn some basic english then for example french...

but i really don't think that advanced english is easy...plus, the big role in this is playing the pronunciation...for example me...i was watching a lot of american movies in which, suprisingly, ameircan english was used. I learned a bit of phrases and mainly catch up the sound of speech...but then i went to Britain. It was really hard for me to understnand British because of the accent. I really like it, but honestly i didn't got much from a conversation of native english speakers. When they were talking to me, They tried to speaking slowly and clearly so i could understand.

due to this experince...i think i can responsibly say that for me english isn't easy...i've no doubt that i did a lot of mistakes even in a simple text like this...sorry for that
(#22 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-13-2011, 07:55 AM

I am English and think that Americans speak totally differently to English people.

Judging by all the American films I see on TV.

then again there are different accents and dialects.
(#23 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

04-13-2011, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokioprincess1 View Post
i don't really think english is that easy...personally i think it's the basic grammar that makes english first language worldwide...i mean...it musn't be right at 100%, but most people will understand it...for example...when you are about to go for a vacation in another country using another language, it's easier for you to learn some basic english than for example, french...

but i really don't think that advanced english is easy...plus, the big role in this is the pronunciation...for example me...i was watching a lot of american movies in which, suprisingly, ameircan english was used. I learned a few phrases and mainly catch up the sound of speech...but then i went to Britain. It was really hard for me to understnand the British because of the accent. I really like it, but honestly i didn't get much from a conversation of native english speakers. When they were talking to me, They tried speaking slowly and clearly so i could understand.

due to this experience...i think i can responsibly say that for me english isn't easy...i've no doubt that I have made a lot of mistakes even in a simple text like this...sorry for that

I have just changed certain words on here, but your message was easy to understand.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-21-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atredies View Post
we can argue about this through an unconventionally different light.

people should never be discouraged from their own poor english grammar in this internationally connected world where there are more people who speak english as their second language. bad english grammar helps spread english across the globe. image is the main drive of the modern world from economics to culture. so it is more natural to see the image of the language so-called words is more important than grammar.

sometimes the best way to respect english on a global stage is to have an anti-academian argument towards the grammatical aspect of english.

never be too discouraged from grammar, boys.
I disagree. Grammar is of vital importance when it comes to learning English. English is a language full of words (and sometimes contractions) that can be easily mistaken for other words that sound just like them, but have completely different meanings.

Ex) your, you're
there, their, they're
through, threw

I think it's especially important to learn the meanings and applications of words like these early on. It's becoming very common for even native speakers to misuse words like the ones mentioned above due to laziness and general apathy towards proper usage. However, I understand that those just starting out wouldn't necessarily get these details right away, but they still need to be reinforced.

Last edited by myk : 04-21-2011 at 03:04 PM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
04-21-2011, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryzorian View Post
Hell, look at my horrid sentence structure and grammer skills. Spelling isn't too hot either. That's the craziest part, my english is barely beyound 7th grade when it comes to writeing, but my vocabalry and reading comprehention are master's level.
You made your point perfectly clear there, buddie.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#26 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

04-22-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayatalim1979 View Post
It's very hard for me to understand details in an English conversation. At first we should (CONCENTRATE ON) English listening and speaking skills, but I learned reading and writing first and now listening is a nightmare. I can't catch even a detail, just understand some topic sentences.

I think we all tend to speak too quickly--which makes it hard to follow what we are saying.
I should think that one needs to try studying not only the written-- but also the spoken word.

My japanese friend has been studying English over here in UK for several years. Her speaking and writing skills are pretty good--but Listening skills very poor. She can chat in English for hours--but if I start speaking to her-- she gets totally confused.

I tell her to mix with as many native English people as possible and to watch television etc. I feel that the Course she has to study at an EFL school-- does not do enough dictation--which would help her comprehend and write down what she hears.

neither is there enough listening time allowed. I also think that as the EFL school she attends has students from around the world-- that mixing with those other students does not improve her own pronunciation of English.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

04-22-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
I disagree. Grammar is of vital importance when it comes to learning English. English is a language full of words (and sometimes contractions) that can be easily mistaken for other words that sound just like them, but have completely different meanings.

Ex) your, you're
there, their, they're
through, threw

I think it's especially important to learn the meanings and applications of words like these early on. It's becoming very common for even native speakers to misuse words like the ones mentioned above due to laziness and general apathy towards proper usage. However, I understand that those just starting out wouldn't necessarily get these details right away, but they still need to be reinforced.

others may disagree with me-- but childrens nursery rhymes are good for learning some of those pairs of similar sounding words.

I agree that it is important to learn and understand those words that are spelt differently-- but have the same sound.

Even we English have problems with our own language and it is forever changing, using slang and colloquialisms etc.

When I was young and someone asked me "How are You?" I would reply, I am fine thank you. Now with the same question the answer is "Good" instead of fine.

Yet the weather can be FINE and sunny--so when we said Fine-- we meant that everything was going well with us.

I am sure we have picked up many Americanisms.

I guess that all languages are constantly evolving.

I admire everyone who makes an effort to learn any language. Many of we English people can be lazy because of the English Language being a second language around the world.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 04-22-2011 at 11:27 AM.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
myk (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-22-2011, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I admire everyone who makes an effort to learn any language. Many of we English people can be lazy because of the English Language being a second language around the world.
Exactly, and if the native speakers reinforce bad English, then it will just feed back on itself until we're all grunting like apes.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

04-22-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Exactly, and if the native speakers reinforce bad English, then it will just feed back on itself until we're all grunting like apes.
very true.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
04-24-2011, 12:28 AM

Quote:

There's many people on this very forum that I seriosuly doubted they were native English speakers at first cause of how bad their writing was.

everything is relative and contradictory ~