View Single Post
(#26 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-22-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayatalim1979 View Post
It's very hard for me to understand details in an English conversation. At first we should (CONCENTRATE ON) English listening and speaking skills, but I learned reading and writing first and now listening is a nightmare. I can't catch even a detail, just understand some topic sentences.

I think we all tend to speak too quickly--which makes it hard to follow what we are saying.
I should think that one needs to try studying not only the written-- but also the spoken word.

My japanese friend has been studying English over here in UK for several years. Her speaking and writing skills are pretty good--but Listening skills very poor. She can chat in English for hours--but if I start speaking to her-- she gets totally confused.

I tell her to mix with as many native English people as possible and to watch television etc. I feel that the Course she has to study at an EFL school-- does not do enough dictation--which would help her comprehend and write down what she hears.

neither is there enough listening time allowed. I also think that as the EFL school she attends has students from around the world-- that mixing with those other students does not improve her own pronunciation of English.