View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

04-24-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myk View Post
Thanks guys. Are the animated screens and perfect English voices just on the JR trains? It looks like I'm going to have to take some other private line from Koto into mainland Tokyo, and I'm wondering if the features ya'll described will be present. Or am I just worrying too much?
The Tozai line seems to run across Koto-ku. Once you hit "mainland Tokyo" (I guess you mean across the river!), you can transfer to the Maronouchi Line at Otemachi, etc....

I think all trains systems were upgraded for the 2002 World Cup and all the lines I took in 2005 and 2010 had a female voice announcing the upcoming station in perfect English. I had absolutely no problems and never got lost. The only slight hitch was traveling from Mitaka (Ghibli Museum) to Hongosanchome (Tokyo University) and transferring from the JR Chuo line to the Maronouchi at Ochanomizu. The JR line station is on the south side of the river, above ground and you have to cross the river and take the subway station on the north side of the river. It was a pleasant surprise to be able to run into this bridge, where I saw many photographers snapping away at the same scene I'd seen on the internet.

I never took the Tozai line, so I can't be sure about its ease of use language-wise. Apart from that minor hiccup, and I mean MINOR, I've never run into any difficulties with Tokyo transport. MMM was correct in adding that any apprehension you may have about the system is due to you not having ridden it. As he said, that will all go away the minute you get there. And once you take your first ride and see how simple it is, you will own the city....

Last edited by JohnBraden : 04-24-2011 at 08:56 PM.