View Single Post
(#105 (permalink))
Old
BobbyCooper (Offline)
Banned

04-28-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Bobby, I guess I would ask you what the definition of a "Top 10 Film of All Time" is.

2001: A Space Odyssey is a masterpiece of epic proportions, and may be Kubrick's best work.

It has every place as an esteemed film. It is a deep and fascinating movie that explores evolution, man's place in the universe, technology as a path to exploration, artificial intelligence and extraterrestrial life. Boring? Far from it.

Please take this in the spirit it is intended, when I say that Memories of Murder and U-Turn cannot get a foot in the door of a movie like 2001 or Apocalypse Now!.

Movies made simply for escape and entertainment are great, and they serve a purpose, but they are more like cotton candy than fine wine, they do not age well. The reason people still talk about 2001 and Apocalypse Now is that they are still good movies. That means they still hold up compared to movies coming out today.
Yea, I think I understand you now.

I also agree that a "real" top ten list probably should focus on those movies who helped building cinematography and who had a massive impact on human kind for their following generations. I think thats probably the significance of a top ten All time "best" Movie list.. even though the problem I have now here still, is the part where "best" comes into play.

I really don't know if I could justify Stanley Kubricks 2001 Space Odysee to be in such a list, because is it really one of the best movies? Or did it just open a human fascination which somehow turned into reality??

I think Memories of Murder has many totally different messages than Apocalypse Now and 2001 and personally I think it deserves to be mentioned there. But I also just don'T know how you could even rank those movies?!

U turn of course is very Dark Comedy which is only in my favourite top 10 and I don't believe Dark Comedys like that could make it into a top 10 list!