View Single Post
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-04-2011, 03:40 PM

MMM- I wonder what you mean by showing our strength.

If we meet a friend we might say" HI, Good to see you." They might reply,

"You too"-- which would mean glad to see you also.

If we meet strangers we would probably be polite and say say: Good morning, or good afternoon depending on the time of day or night.

If leaving a friend at night we might say-- Goodnight-- see you soon, or just 'Night, see you tomorrow" or "soon" depending on circumstances.
It depends if we know someone we meet.

WE would not say "Goodnight" when we actually meet them, probably just say Hi or hello etc. or Good Evening. often we mention the weather also.

Like,"it's a lovely day," or, "its cold today" or "I am fed up with this weather."

Weather is always a subject that we can mention when meeting strangers as we pass. Not in a busy street or city-- but in the country we tend to greet strangers even if we only say: Oooh isn't it cold, or its hot today, or just something about the weather-- then just smile and pass on.

No set pattern really. Different generations probably have their own way of greeting their friends. They tend to make up words and abbreviate them.

Close friends will have their own special greetings.

It varies a lot.

PS: when you are talking about us showing our power or strength-- I am rather uncertain precisely what you mean. I suspect you are saying that In Japan you are demure and polite and do not say what you really think. Hide or suppress your feelings. AM I wrong?

A little bow-- Konnichiwa-- etc etc-- have everything (off pat.) be precise or well practiced.

My friend explained to me that in a group of japanese girls, if one suggested a trip to see a film-- nobody would say NO-- they would all just agree to go as they dislike standing out from the group. Is that correct?

when I walk my dogs I tend to meet the same people most days, and we usually stop and have a chat together--allow the dogs to play together-- then carry on with our walk. If I Pass residents who are in their front garden, I usually stop and admire their garden and ask them how they are--we usually get to be familiar to each other. All very relaxed.

we usually ask people how they are but do not want a detailed reply as some people tend to moan and groan about their health just a bit too much. If anyone asks me how I am I usually just say, "I'm fine thank you" even if I am not. That avoids long drawn out conversations.

PS: I notice nowadays that often when someone is asked how they are , they will reply with "Good" thanks. That seem so odd to me.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 05-04-2011 at 04:08 PM.