View Single Post
Old
YuriTokoro (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-07-2011, 02:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamboP26 View Post
Question for you, Yuri, in relation to this. I've seen the phrase 'Ohayo Gozaimasu' used for 'Good morning', and thats shortened to 'Ohayo' for those you are close to, or familiar with. Is it the same with 'Oyasuminasai', shortening to 'Oyasumi'?
Yes, you are right.
“Ohayoh” is from “Ohayoh Gozaimasu”, and “Oyasumi” is from “Oyasuminasai”.

Quote:
About your post, I see it as you are in Japan, so you have to folow their culture/etiquette. Greetings in Japan are fairly simple, I'd say. One for morning, one for afternoon, one for night, and a general 'hello'. I'd say English greetings are slightly more complex, especially amongst us young people. The common greeting nowadays is simply 'Alright?', translating to 'Are you Ok?' or 'How are you?'. Sometimes, 'Good morning' is shortened to 'morning'. 'Good afternoon' generally isn't bothered with here, either is 'Good evening'. I have to say, I prefer the Japanese way, as its more simple and straight to the point. Can't see people saying hello with 'Genki?'
I’ve never said that. I would say “Genki datta?” meaning like “How have you been?”
I would say “Genki?” only when talking on the phone and can’t see the face you are talking. Only on the phone, mails and Emails. The polite expression is “Ogenki desuka?”
When you see the friend’s face, you know whether she is OK or not, and you don’t need to ask how is the person at the point. However, if your close friend seemed to be really depressed, you can say “Genki?”, but we don’t call it greetings.

Hello, I may not understand English very well and I may lack words but I will try to understand you.

If you have questions about my post or Japanese customs, don't hesitate to ask.

I YamaP