View Single Post
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-07-2011, 09:32 PM

I guess that in reality we all like to fit in and not look stupid.

Train journeys here in UK can be tedious when nobody talks to anybody else.

The English were always known for their reserve-- especially down south.

When we get foreigners on trains or buses they often get out their mobile phones and talk loudly in their own language-- disturbing other passengers.

They say that Northerners are far more friendly than southerners. Not sure if that is still the case.

I hate to hear about the British yobbos who seem to be seen as representative of the British-- and that upsets me.

It seems that in large groups, especially where there is alcohol, the crowd just sing and shout and cause mayhem-- yet get each of those as individuals-- and I bet they would be so different.

One of the reasons I joined this forum was to try to understand my japanese friend better.

I have read many books about the society and culture.

What Yuri says goes along with some that I have read and also what my friend has told me about Japan.

She says she wants to stay here because she loves the English people that she has met--it is unlikely that she would be out at night near clubs and pubs.

she has been made really welcome over here-- and does not want to return to Japan.

she told me how in awe of the emperor they had been, not even daring to say his name. Thinking of him as a GOD.

she also said that whenever she takes a trip back to Japan that her family and friends say how she is now not Japanese in her manner. They scold her.

She enjoys the freedom she has here and our beautiful countryside. she is fascinated by our History and pretty knowledgeable about it too. Unfortunately it is unlikely that she will be allowed to stay here permanently.