View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
JohnBraden (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-08-2011, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umihito View Post
C-141... sounds military, is that right?
What were you doing in Japan all the way back then, to land at Yokota? Were you posted there in the military?
Bet landing there back then was a different world to landing there these days :L
Yes, I was in the military. I wasn't at all happy about going to Japan. My Air Force training allowed me only 8 duty assignments in the world-4 in Asia/Pacific (Misawa JPN, Elmendorf AK, Clark PI and Osan KOR) and 4 in Europe (RAF Chicksands, San Vito ITA, Augsburg FRG and Iraklion GRE). I wanted any base in Europe so I can make it home on weekends (Madrid), but I was sent to Misawa. I was ticked off, but I thought to myself it may be a blessing in disguise. I worked there at the 6920th Electronic Security Group, but I really can't discuss what I did there....

Northern Tohoku back in the 80s was quite a change from what I was used to in Spain. About a klick out of town and nothing is in English. At first it was just trying to identify the Kanji for the towns in the vicinity, but after a while, it was not difficult to drive everywhere-from Mutsu Bay to Sendai. I loved Lake Towada and the Oraise Gorge leading up to it. Hirosaki Castle was awesome and the whole of Tohoku is beautiful, though parts of it not so much for the time being.

I will head back there late next year and see if I can make it up to Sendai and beyond for a day or two....