View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
RobinMask (Offline)
JF Old Timer

05-28-2011, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
I have always used whilst. Maybe you think it old fashioned but it is still good English.

I am British also English so naturally I will still use whilst.

I will linger for a while whilst you ponder on the difference.

While versus Whilst—Getting Our Facts Straight
I think perhaps you misunderstood me. I didn't mean to criticise your usage of the word, in fact I prefer 'whilst' to 'while', but American vs. British usages is a whole other debate, lol.

I know 'whilst' is more natual, but it isn't natural in American English. I merely question whether it's appropriate to use words stictly British English when explaining a vocabulary matter to a foriegn learner. Most foriegn learners of English seem to learn American English, so I just thought it would be confusing to explain a point using 'while' and then introduce the term 'whilst', and then to have to explain only certain people use it and how and why and so forth . . . especially because it then detracts from the original questions of the difference between 'will/would', for example.

Again, it wasn't meant as a criticism, merely a legitimate question about what English may be best when explaining/teaching foriegn learners. Sorry if you thought I was criticising, I really didn't mean to appear to be so