View Single Post
(#19 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

05-29-2011, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinMask View Post
I am very proud of British English, and in conversation I won't hesitate to speak the way I have been raised to speak and the way I prefer to speak. I merely debate whether it is helpful to use strictly British words to a person who is - more than likely - learning American English. If I was to start going 'yeah, good one mate' or 'sheesh, he's in a right mardy', it wouldn't be helpful to a learner because not many people are familiar with those specific dialects or informal tones. To me its the same principle when using British English. One shouldn't have to change spelling, but when it comes to actual vocabulary I simply question whether it's effective to use words that are not in the specific type of English being taught, or that may confuse the learner.

To be honest I just feel like I'm reiterating a position I made clear the at the start. I am not saying British is bad, old-fashioned, or inferior . . . merely questioning some of its usages when talking to someone who is learning English, and especially when we are not sure which English he/she is learning or where they are learning it.

Again, no issue with it being used at all, just question its usages with learners who are more than likely learning American English as opposed to the British

In regards to this specific thread: I have already explained the differences to the original poster, answered his questions to the best of my ability at the time, and even provided him with examples. In my opinion I have answered him. If he is still unclear or has further questions then I will gladly rephrase or try to explain in a different manner, but as he said thank you and implied he understood I don't think there's much need to offer forth more explanations, because he seems to understand already.

Insofar as making a new thread to offer forth useful expressions, I don't feel qualified enough to do so. There were a few posters in the recent past who have done excellent jobs providing lessons, others that I would argue are far more amateurish, but I don't think there's a need for me to start competing with others for offering expressions. Plus, in a forum where the majority are already English speaking or fluent enough to commuinicate effectively, I'm not sure if it'd be an appropriate use of time, because so few people would get anything out of it. If I'm honest I miss reading that other guy's English lessons, I forget his name, but they were pretty good
that other guy is still here-- or haven't you noticed.