View Single Post
(#4 (permalink))
Old
masaegu (Offline)
永遠の愛

06-09-2011, 04:39 AM

I like Otaru for its old, port town kind of ambience. The Sea of Japan side of Japan feels almost like a different country than the Pacific Ocean side. Sapporo is okay but it is just another big city IMHO. I also like the Tomamu Resort though it is a little pricey. Been to Tomamu twice for skiing but it is somewhere I would like to go back in the summer. Just love its huge (about 90 meters long) indoor swimming pool with waves. Tomamu offers programs in the summer, such as fishing, rafting and air balooning.

On a random note, I would recommned a train ride between Hakodate and Tomakomai. Done this three times already but I can't get enough of the views from the windows --- mountains on one side and the ocean on the other.

Noboribetsu Onsen is pretty cool, too. I stayed at Noboribetsu Grand Hotel and its huge onsen is one of the best I've experienced.

You will be surprised that people in Hokkaido speak much more like Tokyoites than people in regions that are physically closer to Tokyo. This is because Hokkaido was developed by those who migrated there from different parts of Honshuu and they tried to speak to each other as neutrally and dialect-free as possivle for better communication. You will be talking to the descendants of those pioneers there. Sorry, this was not the language section.

Your Japanese proficiency shall be in direct proportion
to your true interest in the Japanese Mind.