View Single Post
(#282 (permalink))
Old
ryuurui (Offline)
Japanese calligrapher

06-18-2011, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBraden View Post
A group of school girls in a calligraphy class use their art to bring attention to their paper-making town which is in dire need of business. They decide to create a calligraphy/music contest and invite other schools to attend. The social dynamics of the group of girls is the main drive of the film.

I don't see too many Japanese films, so I really can't give a good review on it. After spending 11 days in Japan with no subtitled television, the JAL flight home at least had subtitles. I watched this movie, along with A Boy And His Samurai and Rail Man (I think that was the title). This film is mainly about the drama between the girls of the calligraphy club, with the backdrop being the town's debacle and the aforementioned contest.

I enjoyed it because I could understand it and it wasn't the typical American film. On a long flight home, it was surprisingly engrossing.

I know, I know....it's certainly not a ringing endorsement....
Well, I may actually watch it. The good thing about that movie (from what you are saying) is that calligraphy is utilised for helping other people (in this case the town community), which in fact is what calligraphy is all about - to soothe and heal, or stimulate and inspire. I guess the modern approach is necessary, due to the times we live in ... sadly. Also, the movie is promoting the art of calligraphy (in its own way), which is very important, as this ancient art is slowly dying. The number of those who study it, especially the younger generation, is really low.

Last edited by ryuurui : 06-18-2011 at 04:27 AM.