Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

The second day; A river kayak racing - 07-07-2011, 03:51 AM

Hi.
No.2 photo
http://www.english-test.net/images/toeic/193.jpg
Canoeing / TOEIC

This is a photo of a river kayak racing. Or a practice preparing for the race.

At the center of the photo, one player in a purple top and a white best is paddling on the green kayak. I can’t see the number of his back. He is wearing a black helmet and holding a black paddle which has twin oars.

There are poles hanging over the river vertically as the makers of indicating the course. Some poles are red-and-white-striped color, and others are green and white stripes.
He’s just passing through the pole No.19, while other two players are almost passing No.20, which seems to be the goal. Two players have already finished racing and looking at other players to come. There are five players to be seen in this photo. The man is behind of the other 4 players.

The river is relatively calm, and I don’t see white water. There is a big rock at the right edge of the photo. There is another big rock at the left edge.

It is daytime, and it is cloudy. At the background of the picture, there seems to be a tree without leaves. It might be winter season, though it is less likely to run a race at winter season. And I can see greens on the other sites of the photo.
So the tree without leaves is probably dead now.

///////////////////////////
Well, I don't have any opinion/comment about this photo. It is just the photo as it is.
I don't think it an interesting photo....

OK. I'll tell something.
I searched about "canoe" and they say how to distinguish "canoe" and "kayak".
If the paddle has only one oar, it is called as a canoe.
If the paddle has two oars on both sides, it is called as a kayak.
But another explanation says that a kayak is one type of a canoe....

Definition of things is difficult from time to time....

Last edited by Supperman : 07-26-2011 at 09:17 AM.