View Single Post
(#114 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

07-27-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
Thank you, Lonthego, for your correction.
I wonder if you are an English language teacher for Japanese people.
I wonder why you know that my words order is Japanese-wise. (Am I using -wise correctly?)

Hi!

I've taught English to Japanese people before but am also proficient in Japanese as well.

You can just say "I wonder why you know that my word order is Japanese" (note that "word order" is basically a set noun, and you don't need the S here)
If you wanted to use "-wise" you could say something like "Word order-wise, I wonder why you know that what I say sounds Japanese"
This has a conversational tone to it and wouldn't be used in real writing.

Notice that "-wise" and "in terms of" are basically interchangeable when they appear in a sentence. If you can't substitute one for the other, chances are it's not correct.
Example:
"Weather-wise I think tomorrow will be fine. It's supposed to be sunny all day, so we can have our picnic anytime."
In this context you can remove "Weather-wise" and say "In terms of weather" and it will still sound OK; it's a little formal, but still natural.

BUT "-wise" is not always interchangeable with "In regards to"
Example: "In regards to what we talked about yesterday, I'm afraid we will need more time to discuss the matter."
You can't replace "In regards to" with "-wise" here

But if you said "In terms of nutrition it's hard to beat fish." you could replace the "In terms of" with "-wise" and it will sound fine. "Nutrition-wise it's hard to beat fish."

Sorry if my explanation is confusing!

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)