View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Lonthego (Offline)
JF Regular

07-28-2011, 01:32 AM

I've never lived in Tokyo but lived in Yokohahama, about an 18 minute ride from Shinagawa on the Keihin-Tohoku line so I spent a fair amount of time there.

Some personal favorites:
Kichijouji - Not far from Shinjuku station on the Chuuou line heading towards Mitaka (I think). Very nice town with a lot of great eateries and an extremely large park (for Tokyo) and very beautiful on a sunny day. Everything else thinks so too though, so it's very crowded on weekends. I went there for Hanami, it's fairly romantic because of the water and swan boats and sakura, but Japanese parents also love dumping their kids there and letting them run crazy.

Akihabara - Need I say more. They've started doing Walker's Paradise again (roads are closed except for pedestrians) so that's a great way to experience a normally crowded district. Video games, maid cafes, electronics..

Asakusa - Very touristy but a great place to buy souvenirs or sight-see because of Sensouji (the temple at the end of all the little shops) and a good place to take a picture of the Golden Poo

Ueno - Great area with a huge park with lots of museums (8 of them in total I think), a zoo (with pandas!), and nearby is Ameyoko, a street bazaar type area.

Odaibo - Good date spot. Or it was, until the power saving measures. The bridge is all lit-up, there's a ferris wheel, some nice places to eat, big Fuji TV station where you can overlook some of Tokyo..if you take the Yurikamome from Shinbashi it's a great view in transit as well

So much more..but that's all for now..it really is a massive city with so much to do and see, depending on your interests.

My Japan Blog (lots of pics and experiences of living in Japan..with some of Thailand too)
Latest Entry = Today's Journey (click)