(#16 (permalink))
Old
JBaymore (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-31-2011, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkshadowgirl View Post
Hello,
Someone I know wants to go to Japan and has a Class B felony on his record. I have heard that some countries will not allow felons? How is Japan on this?

Also, even if they don't allow them. How would they know? I highly doubt they run a background check at the airport. Running a background check even in the USA cost a lot of money and takes a few weeks to process.

Anytime I have entered a country all they do is look at my passport, look at me, and maybe ask a few questions then let me through. Never checked my background.

Any clues on this?
If you are talking about a 3 month (or less) visit, as an American you do not need a Visa for entry. But in the aircraft before you land and get into Japanese immigration you will receicve a declaration form that you need to fill out.

One of the questions I believe is about convictions for crimes. It is a yes/no type answer, if I remember correctly. If you indicate a "yes", my guess is that it will result in some likely additional verbal questioning at the entry point.

If you indicated "no" ....and it was discovered that it was a deliberate lie........ I'm guessing that they would not have much of a sense of humor about it.

You will also be fingerprinted (electronic scan) and photographed at the point of entry.

How tied into international crime record databases they are .... who knows? If they are, the name might cause an automatic flag to come up. Probably unlikely, but......

best,

...................john