View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nameless (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-13-2011, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleGoetz View Post
1. I've heard only bad things. I have never met a person who said it was worthwhile. Well, I take that back: I have seen some beginners on JF say it is working for them. I have never seen an intermediate or advanced speaker say it does, though. Perhaps because the type of person who attains intermediate or advanced level tends to study at university, and I've never heard of a university using the Heisig method ever. (Personally, I recommend Kanji in Context—it worked for me as I progressed from intermediate to advanced kanji knowledge).

2. You realize native Japanese spend about ten years learning kanji before they know 2000, right? Grades 1–6 gets them a thousand, and then they have until college entrance exams to learn the other thousand, basically. Now, just like with us speaking English, they continue to learn kanji (as we learn words) throughout adulthood, forgetting some, learning others, depending on level of education and profession/specialty.

Regardless, I think it's very possible for an adult to learn all joyo kanji in four years with serious study. Few people can muster that level of dedication for four straight years, though. I, for example, could not.
With Heisig's method I've been able to master 700~ and I have been LAZY...
the only problem I've found is that it is repetitive... because all you do is kanji and more kanji... I need to re start and continue until I finish all of the joyo... it feels bad to lack motivation... for some reason...

Nevertheless, I've read grammar here and there and it was easier than I thought, are kanji really the hardest part of Japanese?