View Single Post
(#20 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
12-06-2011, 01:41 AM

Sorry to take so long to get back to this thread. The weekend is our out and about time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japean View Post
Noone said Nagoya does not have a great history. Authenticity and History are not the same by meaning, by definition or any other context. Please look it up if you have any doubts.
It would help if you clarified what your "authentic" means. To me, authentic is something that is real and representative of reality. Under this definition, Nagoya is far more authentic than... say... Meiji-mura. It most certainly isn`t a "fake" Japan, by any stretch.

Quote:
1) "plenty to see"... where would you send (!!NOT take!!) your friend in Nagoya who has only 3-4 days and does not speak Japanese? /the answer is for MorningFlash.../
Three to four days... Let me see - on the history/traditional side;
First I would suggest visiting the Nagoya castle park (no need to actually enter the castle itself, just enjoy the grounds). As a side, checking out the official buildings in the direct vicinity would be neat, but might take a bit of a walk.
A visit to Oosu Kannon timed to see the karakuri.
A visit to the Tokugawa Art Museum and gardens.
Atsuta Jingu.
Narumi-Arimatsu...

If they are interested in general sightseeing - a trip to Nagoya station itself to go shopping (both above or below ground), or a walk around Sakae (again, above and below ground) with a pocket map.
The rest is really going to depend on what they are interested in. Someone who wants to see temples isn`t going to enjoy the same thing as someone who wants to enjoy the nightlife.

Quote:
2) "plenty to see"... where would you TAKE your friend in Nagoya, who has only 3-4 days? /this answer would be for me/
Is this with or without a car?
Some of my favorite places to take people;
Walking around the Shirakabe area. (Great traditional buildings)
Walking around Kanayama in the evening/at night. (Neon and "cool")
Yagoto / Heiwa park.
And, well, places right around me but they are just outside the city boundaries.

Quote:
I live in the United States and when people say "I went to America and experienced the culture when I went to New York and to Time Square." my thoughts are .. well if you wanted to experience America why did you go to Time Square or New York? lol
Pretty much this.
I consider Nagoya a far more "authentic" sample of Japan than hopping from tourist spot to tourist spot, temple to temple, etc. Tokyo and Kyoto are obviously still Japan, but I think that a visit to Tokyo or Kyoto is going to give you more of a Tokyo or Kyoto experience than a "Japan" experience.
Just my opinion, of course. I am one of those people who isn`t very interested in tourist spots that are pushed in your face with souvenirs on hand to empty your wallet. When I visit somewhere, if the culture/lifestyle is different than my own, I want to see the reality of it...

I think this is part of what is confusing me about Nagoya not being "authentic" - if it isn`t, where IS authentic? Because shuffling from one crowded tourist spot to another certainly isn`t. Walking back streets in the early evening, smelling the scent of dinners cooking, catching glimpses of tatami being made or futon being stuffed in small workshops, hearing the distant sound of a train passing by... That is authentic Japan to me.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.

Last edited by Nyororin : 12-06-2011 at 01:43 AM.