View Single Post
(#3 (permalink))
Old
SuteisiChan (Offline)
New to JF

01-13-2012, 02:10 PM

Hi there!

I staid in Tokyo in October 2009, I was there for about 10 days. It's possible that the prices have changed since then, I know plane fares have gone up a lot, so maybe some of the things have gotten more expensive in Tokyo. So please take my advice lightly, it's possible it will be different for you.

So we are ignoring plane ticket and hotel.

I had set aside around 50$ per day to eat. Of course, there were many days I only spent 5$ for my lunch and didn't have breakfast so it cost me 20-30$ at most, but I prefered to have more money available than not enough.

I spent around 2,000$ on activities and shopping. I brought back a lot of souvenirs and bought myself a LOT of books, CDs and DVDs.

So I think 2,500$ you will be OK, take in consideration if you plan to eat at expensive restaurants or if you prefer to eat at Yoshinoya every day (it's a fast food type restaurant, you can get a rice bowl with meat at 3-5$ it's DELICIOUS!).

I'm big on shopping, I love shopping and I did A LOT of it while I was in Japan. So if you're not into that so much and are more into doing tons of touristy things like visiting places, then maybe it will cost you less.

All in all together I had saved around 6,000$ for my trip, including EVERYTHING (plane, hotel, food, shopping, etc). And I ended up coming home with 1,000$ left in my bank.

I cannot advise on the JR Rail Pass as I don't have any experience with it.

Hope that gives you a better idea.

Last edited by SuteisiChan : 01-13-2012 at 02:17 PM.