View Single Post
(#676 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-13-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLucaxX View Post
This was needed. Yes I'm new here but I am looking into possibly teaching English in Japan. But before I go crazy over the idea of it I want to know things I want to know what I NEED TO DO what I NEED to survive before I even think about going. (Because it is soooo easy to dream and get wrapped up...we're only human after all!)
In all honesty, I didn't really have any problems at all. I didn't get "wrapped up" in anything, and I guess it was due to the fact that I wasn't in Tokyo. I'm one of those whose never had a desire to live/reside in Tokyo. I've always been drawn to northern Japan, so Yamagata was perfect for me. I really do miss the place.
Quote:
I've seen so many sites that say you don't need a degree in teaching to do this job. My common sense says other wise.
That really just depends on the job. The degree is just a precaution for the person to obtain a work visa. You need a degree for that. It also depends on the job too. Some companies just want a foreigner to entertain the students. ALTs don't really teach much of anything, as that's the job of the JTE. Some are utilized as a human tape recorder. Some have JTEs who don't know how to use their ALTs at all. ESID (Every Situation Is Different) is a phrase to learn if going over there for the sake of being an ALT. Some have good experiences, some have bad. Some are utilized properly (meaning they help with planning and actual team teaching) and then there are some who stand around and only say something or do something when it's permitted. I had a combination. I worked at a junior high school. I had more of an opportunity to do the former with the first-year classes as opposed to the second and third year classes. I also liked it when I had to go to the elementary school nearby as I had a lot of control over what I did over there.

Now if you want to be an actual teacher, then yes, the type of degree you have would matter, just like it would in your home country.
Quote:
But then I've seen other sites that say programs like Aeon and Jet won't hire over 35 (By the time I get what is required -teaching degree- as well as some business education, I'll almost be to that age) I'm not certain what to believe what not to believe and I've been looking for people who are teaching in Japan who KNOW what it's really like who know the ropes.
It's not that they won't hire over the age of 35, it's just less likely. I know for JET the cutoff age is 40 now (it used to be 35 to my knowledge, years ago). I'm under the impression that in a general sense, not many people over that age actually apply for assistant teaching jobs, but I do know of older assistant teachers who are over the age of 35. Also, it depends on the what the Board of Education wants and what said school wants. Like, the place I was originally supposed to have gone to wanted a female teacher (no other pref, just female) so it can be assumed that the school in question had trouble with male ALTs. Who knows, so yeah, that gets taken into account too.

You'd probably find more teachers of English over that age as opposed to assistant language teachers.