View Single Post
(#677 (permalink))
Old
XxLucaxX (Offline)
New to JF

01-14-2012, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJup81 View Post
In all honesty, I didn't really have any problems at all. I didn't get "wrapped up" in anything, and I guess it was due to the fact that I wasn't in Tokyo. I'm one of those whose never had a desire to live/reside in Tokyo. I've always been drawn to northern Japan, so Yamagata was perfect for me. I really do miss the place. That really just depends on the job. The degree is just a precaution for the person to obtain a work visa. You need a degree for that. It also depends on the job too. Some companies just want a foreigner to entertain the students. ALTs don't really teach much of anything, as that's the job of the JTE. Some are utilized as a human tape recorder. Some have JTEs who don't know how to use their ALTs at all. ESID (Every Situation Is Different) is a phrase to learn if going over there for the sake of being an ALT. Some have good experiences, some have bad. Some are utilized properly (meaning they help with planning and actual team teaching) and then there are some who stand around and only say something or do something when it's permitted. I had a combination. I worked at a junior high school. I had more of an opportunity to do the former with the first-year classes as opposed to the second and third year classes. I also liked it when I had to go to the elementary school nearby as I had a lot of control over what I did over there.

Now if you want to be an actual teacher, then yes, the type of degree you have would matter, just like it would in your home country.
It's not that they won't hire over the age of 35, it's just less likely. I know for JET the cutoff age is 40 now (it used to be 35 to my knowledge, years ago). I'm under the impression that in a general sense, not many people over that age actually apply for assistant teaching jobs, but I do know of older assistant teachers who are over the age of 35. Also, it depends on the what the Board of Education wants and what said school wants. Like, the place I was originally supposed to have gone to wanted a female teacher (no other pref, just female) so it can be assumed that the school in question had trouble with male ALTs. Who knows, so yeah, that gets taken into account too.

You'd probably find more teachers of English over that age as opposed to assistant language teachers.

Thank you for clearing a few things up for me! I know every situation is different so that's why I try to take things with a grain of salt. I'm learning more and more. I had heard of NOVA and JET I was looking into things one said something and the other said different. So I was a bit confused.
I also do not wish to teach in Tokyo. Maybe near it so I can experience it on a tourist trip or two and maybe if I feel comfortable enough I may give it a try. But I like smaller area's. Not necessarily the sticks but somewhere that is a comfortable middle.
I am curios to know. The ALT's are only supposed to teach English correct? Or are they there through out the day applying English to everything? I was reading a blog/journal and the woman mentioned that she had annoyed/angered the teacher and he had her go work with two children with special needs-which she had no experience- in a completely different topic. I'm glad you replied Even if it was just to correct my misinformation!