View Single Post
(#678 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-14-2012, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxLucaxX View Post
Thank you for clearing a few things up for me!
No problem. Glad to help, even if it's just a little.
Quote:
I know every situation is different so that's why I try to take things with a grain of salt. I'm learning more and more. I had heard of NOVA and JET I was looking into things one said something and the other said different. So I was a bit confused.
What else did you hear about NOVA and JET? As far as I know about NOVA, it went bankrupt or something. Could be wrong, though.
Quote:
I also do not wish to teach in Tokyo.
That's pretty cool to hear. Seems everyone usually wants to head straight to Tokyo. You're flexible, so that's always a good thing and employers would probably like that, but with most places or jobs you apply for with places like JET, for example, you don't have much of a choice as to where you're placed. It's taken into consideration, though, but there's no guarantee you'll actually get it.
Quote:
Maybe near it so I can experience it on a tourist trip or two and maybe if I feel comfortable enough I may give it a try.
I know it may sound surprising, but I never once visited Tokyo while living over there. I had planned to go eventually, but never did. The only time I was in Tokyo was when I had to go to Narita and even after I got to Japan and was in Mito before going up to Yamagata, I never took a day trip to Tokyo because I was too chicken to go since I wasn't sure about prices yet and didn't want to spend any extra cash. lol
Quote:
But I like smaller area's. Not necessarily the sticks but somewhere that is a comfortable middle.
Yamagata actually reminded me of home in some ways. It did feel like the "middle" and most people had to drive in the area. I walked everyplace, though since I didn't own a car (even though I had obtained an int'l driver's license before heading over through AAA). If I really did want to go to Tokyo though, I could've just hopped on the Shinkansen down there.
Quote:
I am curios to know. The ALT's are only supposed to teach English correct?
If you can call it that, but just so you know, legally the ALT, at no point, is supposed to teach a class by oneself (meaning the JTE should be in the room with you). The JTEs do all of the real teaching and sometimes you can assist him/her with the lessons and implementing it. It all depends on the teacher you're working with and how that teacher uses you, as they may actually "team-teach" with you, which you'll probably learn all about once you start studying for your degree (or finishing up?). Sometimes the ALT can be responsible for making up/writing up tests or coming up with activities to improve certain areas. Sometimes the ALT may have to grade the students on their actual speaking abilities and in most cases (to my knowledge) the ALT usually has to assist students chosen for the English Speech contests. I felt really bad with that one. I was given wrong information so the speech used for my first year was too long and the one for my second year was too short. The third year student did okay, but who knows what the judges were truly looking for. Sucks that neither one of them won.
Quote:
Or are they there through out the day applying English to everything?
I think that depends on where you are or the school itself. I know that some teachers prefer you to use English for pretty much everything as a way to have the students improve their English. I used Japanese outside of the classroom, unless they tried to speak actual English with me. With the ES, I stuck to mostly Japanese.
Quote:
I was reading a blog/journal and the woman mentioned that she had annoyed/angered the teacher and he had her go work with two children with special needs-which she had no experience- in a completely different topic.
Sounds like that should've been addressed or something. I'm pretty sure that's against a lot of rules.
Quote:
I'm glad you replied Even if it was just to correct my misinformation!
No prob. Glad to help, and if you have any other questions, just ask. But, most people are starting to migrate over to the other board because of all of the spambots. I just recently returned to Japan Forum after about a year, so I was surprised to see how this site had turned out.

Japanologic Forums • Index page

That's the newer site, and you can always ask questions there too.