doesn't matter 41 22.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 185. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-09-2008, 01:38 PM

My ears wouldn't let me sit through dubbed series.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
Yorichan (Offline)
Andrew the Dark

Talking 01-09-2008, 02:10 PM

i am just so used to subtiles and the original language, i just can't go back now....

the fire within is a gift...
use it wisely...
(#33 (permalink))
Old
kunitokotachi (Offline)
JF Old Timer

01-09-2008, 03:34 PM

I like subtitles better because it is difficult if not impossible at times to capture a character's mannerism. For example, a lot of soft-hearted, kind, or innocent male characters have females as the voice actors in Japanese; as in Kenshin, Goku, Goten. This gets switched when dubbed in English. Another thing is, how do you capture a character's mannerism, way of speaking, or even custom when they speak a different dialect? Using English as an example, we don't have an equivalent of 関西弁(Osaka and surrounding area dialect) or 東北弁(Northeastern dialect); a good example of Osaka/surrounding area dialect would be the Vizards from Bleach. Last thing I can think of is 尊敬語(honorific speech) used when speaking with someone of a different social status and 侍弁(samurai speech). Yes, samurai have a different way of speaking too. You cannot capture these qualities when dubbing the character voices.

宣告されてから弁論しても手遅れである。
(#34 (permalink))
Old
AbeLincoln101 (Offline)
New to JF

01-09-2008, 08:14 PM

Subbed in my opinion but w/e don't like english voices generaly. they usually hire bad acters then ruin things. not always though. so i guess i just watch the better one which most of the time is sub
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Kazumi (Offline)
Supreme Magician Girl

Send a message via AIM to Kazumi Send a message via MSN to Kazumi Send a message via Yahoo to Kazumi
01-09-2008, 09:28 PM

I totally agree with you about capturing a character's mannerism. I been thinking the same thing. Watching subs really helps you understand the characters true nature or apperance.

Magic is all around us. You just need to know where to find it?

The Magical World is were I was born. I control the magical stone called the Sages Stone.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
VisualKei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to VisualKei Send a message via Yahoo to VisualKei
01-09-2008, 09:39 PM

It doesn't really matter to me, for the most part. Sure, some dubs make my ears bleed, but some are fine. And I can't watch subbed anime for long periods of time because the reading makes my eyes sore.

OFFICIAL OWNER OF HIZAKI AND JASMINE YOU
(#37 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
01-09-2008, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorichan View Post
i am just so used to subtiles and the original language, i just can't go back now....
Ironically, I'm like this. I'd say that 99.9% of the stuff I watch is subbed. It's rare for me to sit down and watch a dub.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
light0yagami (Offline)
Shinigami

Send a message via MSN to light0yagami
01-10-2008, 12:34 AM

i just prefer dub regardless f the voices partially because i often let my eyes stray from the screen and since im notfluent in japanese dubs are better for that. i do have to admit that the sub voices are better except for rurouni kenshin. himura's japanese voice put me off the series until i found the dub. i also grew up watching dub for my whole life and subbed was just introduced to me a coupke years ago so it is weird for me. i must say the poll turned out exactly as i expected with a little more votes for dub.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
animeomarguy (Offline)
Stupid--Stupid Like A Fox

01-10-2008, 01:20 AM

I like hearing stuff in its original audio format =3
Specially when its anime, cuz I love hearing Japanese ( like an aphrodisiac )
So subbed all the way...woot
(#40 (permalink))
Old
devils (Offline)
~Clairvoyant in training~

Send a message via MSN to devils
01-10-2008, 03:01 AM

I'd prefer subbed. I like to hear the language and watch the shows in their original format. It also forces me to pay more attention to the anime since I can't understand it without reading it lol