JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
peterv20 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

what do you think of the star trek manga? - 11-04-2008, 02:47 AM

i've always been a star trek fan.you should really check out the star trek american anime from the early 70s.let's face it,you can do some things with animation that you can't with live action.the manga...just like anything else,some are so-so,some are excellent.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Yuna7780 (Offline)
I'm Missh Yuna! ♥

11-04-2008, 02:53 AM

Star Trek, in general, scares me...

Thanks for reading!
~Yuna7780
(#3 (permalink))
Old
reihiino (Offline)
The North Remembers

11-04-2008, 03:04 AM

ooo but the guy playing Cpn' Kirk in the new movie is so hot...& Simon Pegg is gonna be in it too..makes me wanna go see it now...i am what i am...boy crazy...

s the 10th doctor
s Verbal & Taku
(#4 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-04-2008, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterv20 View Post
i've always been a star trek fan.you should really check out the star trek american anime from the early 70s.let's face it,you can do some things with animation that you can't with live action.the manga...just like anything else,some are so-so,some are excellent.
Why are you calling an American cartoon "manga"?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
superheel (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-04-2008, 05:24 AM

Star Trek as a comic, maybe yes. But as a manga? I really don't know.

"Save the earth from Global Warming!"
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-12-2008, 05:51 AM

Manga peaked in the late '80's and early 90's. The sales have fallen by almost 30 percent as young people find other electronic forms of entertainment. American comics are becoming more popular due to movies like bat-man and Iron-man. American companies are currrently producing movie forms of popular manga, such as Akira. When American and other non-japanese move into the market, will it no longer be "manga?" Does it have to be Japanese to be manga, or can it just follow the patterns and stories of "manga"....

sushi is sushi no matter where it's cut (although much better in Japan, it's still sushi). Rock and roll and blues are still rock and bues whn played by non americans (not as good, but stil rock or blues)......
(#7 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-12-2008, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Manga peaked in the late '80's and early 90's. The sales have fallen by almost 30 percent as young people find other electronic forms of entertainment. American comics are becoming more popular due to movies like bat-man and Iron-man. American companies are currrently producing movie forms of popular manga, such as Akira. When American and other non-japanese move into the market, will it no longer be "manga?" Does it have to be Japanese to be manga, or can it just follow the patterns and stories of "manga"....

sushi is sushi no matter where it's cut (although much better in Japan, it's still sushi). Rock and roll and blues are still rock and bues whn played by non americans (not as good, but stil rock or blues)......
So there was a Japanese-produced Star Trek anime? I am confused, as the question is in English and he has said "manga" and "anime" and I have no idea what we are talking about.

I don't know if we want to open the can of worms argument of what is anime and manga, but when someone asks "What do you think of the Star Trek manga?" I think "Oh, there was a Japanese produced comic book of Star Trek."

This is true of Batman, Spiderman, Star Wars... but I never heard of a Star Trek manga made in Japan.

And if he means an American-produced comic in English for Americans, that's called a "comic".

If it's an American-produced animated TV show in English for Americans, that's called a "cartoon".
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-12-2008, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
So there was a Japanese-produced Star Trek anime? I am confused, as the question is in English and he has said "manga" and "anime" and I have no idea what we are talking about.

I don't know if we want to open the can of worms argument of what is anime and manga, but when someone asks "What do you think of the Star Trek manga?" I think "Oh, there was a Japanese produced comic book of Star Trek."

This is true of Batman, Spiderman, Star Wars... but I never heard of a Star Trek manga made in Japan.

And if he means an American-produced comic in English for Americans, that's called a "comic".

If it's an American-produced animated TV show in English for Americans, that's called a "cartoon".
Touche! nd you have explained the use of the words to me in another post. But why is it a can of worms. I know it probably means more to you because you have connection through your professions. By why is it a can of worms in the larger sense? It's Manga and Anime, not a serious issue? I think the questions I raised above are still worth considering. So why is a Japanese person's hand so special that only "Japanese comics" or "japanese cartoons" can be considered manga and anime?

Generally, folkore follows the same patterns universally. Trends in art are universally reproducable. Why is manga and anime different?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-12-2008, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
Touche! nd you have explained the use of the words to me in another post. But why is it a can of worms. I know it probably means more to you because you have connection through your professions. By why is it a can of worms in the larger sense? It's Manga and Anime, not a serious issue? I think the questions I raised above are still worth considering. So why is a Japanese person's hand so special that only "Japanese comics" or "japanese cartoons" can be considered manga and anime?

Generally, folkore follows the same patterns universally. Trends in art are universally reproducable. Why is manga and anime different?
It is a can of worms in that the definition of "manga" and "anime" (manga especially) remains a hot debate among the few that care about stuff like that. Japanophiles like myself do not call anything not written for a Japanese audience in Japanese "manga" where Western fans of the style want to be able to call the comics they make manga, too.

Simply put, I don't think it takes a Japanese "hand" to make Japanese-"style" artwork...obviously not. People from Korea to Oklahoma have spent a long time imitating and perfecting the "style" of manga.

(As an aside, I put "style" in quotes because there is this sense there is a singular manga "style", which couldn't be further from the truth. It would be like saying all American movies are in the same "style". Sure there are a lot of big-budget action movies that get a lot of attention, but the majority of American movies are not big-budget action features, just as the majority of Japanese manga is not big-eyed nymph sprite harems.)

But the artwork is only a part of manga. There is also the story...and the culture that makes that story work. I read manga to get that unadultrated peek into the window of Japanese culture.

Right now I am reading BLACK JACK, and so much of the short stories are dripping in culture. It's about a renegade doctor who actually tells his patients they are going to die. This is normal in the US, but in Japan is a taboo. He is lambasted by other doctors for doing so.

So you can say folklore follows the same universal themes, and that might be true, but I am talking about the details. Manga is the Japanese word for "comics" and there is no reason for English-speakers to describe their English comics as "manga" in English.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-12-2008, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It is a can of worms in that the definition of "manga" and "anime" (manga especially) remains a hot debate among the few that care about stuff like that. Japanophiles like myself do not call anything not written for a Japanese audience in Japanese "manga" where Western fans of the style want to be able to call the comics they make manga, too.

Simply put, I don't think it takes a Japanese "hand" to make Japanese-"style" artwork...obviously not. People from Korea to Oklahoma have spent a long time imitating and perfecting the "style" of manga.

(As an aside, I put "style" in quotes because there is this sense there is a singular manga "style", which couldn't be further from the truth. It would be like saying all American movies are in the same "style". Sure there are a lot of big-budget action movies that get a lot of attention, but the majority of American movies are not big-budget action features, just as the majority of Japanese manga is not big-eyed nymph sprite harems.)

But the artwork is only a part of manga. There is also the story...and the culture that makes that story work. I read manga to get that unadultrated peek into the window of Japanese culture.

Right now I am reading BLACK JACK, and so much of the short stories are dripping in culture. It's about a renegade doctor who actually tells his patients they are going to die. This is normal in the US, but in Japan is a taboo. He is lambasted by other doctors for doing so.

So you can say folklore follows the same universal themes, and that might be true, but I am talking about the details. Manga is the Japanese word for "comics" and there is no reason for English-speakers to describe their English comics as "manga" in English.
So it's purely semantics, a way of categorizing.