JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Clutch (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via Yahoo to Clutch
Recommend a Manga Series - 07-23-2008, 03:13 PM

Hey, its been sometime since I've last taken up reading a manga series, but I've found myself with a little more time and money on my hands than I used to have.

I've been looking for some series to pick up, either in print or scanlated. I'm already following "BLEACH", but what I'd really like is something along the lines of Mystery/Detective genre. Some super natural thrown into that is fine too, like along the lines of "Death Note" (yup, already in the progress of reading that!).

What I'm definitely not interested in is anything centered around romance/shojo (sorry, just not my thing) or teenage angst.

I'm not looking for any anime to watch at the moment, either... just stuff to read.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Crani (Offline)
Sillyassauros

Send a message via MSN to Crani
07-23-2008, 04:19 PM

Well, if you don't mind the grotesque imagery I recommend M.P.D Psycho, it as a great artwork and the story is top notch. And you should check out LOST+BRAIN, it's very similar to D.N, but isn't of a Notebook that kills people, you have hypnotism to control peoples mind. As for a Shounen, since you are following "Bleach", try Soul Eater.

Natural Born Headbanger
\m/

TAG Game
Score: Crani:51

Last edited by Crani : 07-23-2008 at 04:38 PM.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Clutch (Offline)
New to JF

07-23-2008, 05:03 PM

Thanks, I'll look into these.

(By-the-by, I liked Blue Spring too)
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Tsuyako (Offline)
Milkshake critic <3

Send a message via MSN to Tsuyako Send a message via Skype™ to Tsuyako
07-23-2008, 07:28 PM

I recommend Immortal Rain amazing artwork and an interesting story, a good combination I struggle to find sometimes

~Tsuyako~
つや子
If music be the food of love, play on

www.myspace.com/strawberrymilkshake1992
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Hawaiiangirl (Offline)
New to JF

07-23-2008, 10:54 PM

Try Immortal regis If you enjoyed Bleach
Superior if you like fantasy/shojo
Doubt if you like Horror/mystery
One piece another shounen

Since its mostly mystery, I say Higurashi koro ni and Detective Loki ^^ Hope I helped.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Rogozhin (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-24-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
but what I'd really like is something along the lines of Mystery/Detective genre.
Say no more. Meitantei/Detective Conan is a detective manga replete with clever cases and mysteries. If you were to look for it at a bookshop, it'd be under the title of Case Closed (American translation).

(#7 (permalink))
Old
tobikun (Offline)
New to JF

07-25-2008, 08:58 PM

Full Metal Alchemist
Naruto
Negima
(#8 (permalink))
Old
naturesbless (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via AIM to naturesbless Send a message via MSN to naturesbless Send a message via Yahoo to naturesbless Send a message via Skype™ to naturesbless
07-25-2008, 09:36 PM

Negima is a very good manga to read.

You could read Shakugan no Shana, that's a great read if you like that magical type of stuff. For a mystery/detective manga I'd suggest Higurashi no Naku no Koro ni.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Clutch (Offline)
New to JF

07-26-2008, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crani View Post
As for a Shounen, since you are following "Bleach", try Soul Eater.
I couldn't find the manga of Soul Eater from chapter 1 onward, so I did end up trying the anime anyway. I love it, you've got me hooked. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiiangirl View Post
One piece another shounen

Since its mostly mystery, I say Higurashi koro ni and Detective Loki ^^ Hope I helped.
I tried One Piece awhile back, I couldn't get hooked, sorry. Can I find Higurashi koro ni in the United States, or is it still only scanlations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogozhin View Post
Say no more. Meitantei/Detective Conan is a detective manga replete with clever cases and mysteries.
Actually, I think I started this series sometime ago and never finished it. I'll have to take a look back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobikun View Post
Naruto
Negima
Actually, I used to be a fan of Naruto. But I lost interest sometime after volume 30 or so.

What is Negima about?
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SSJup81 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

Send a message via ICQ to SSJup81 Send a message via AIM to SSJup81 Send a message via MSN to SSJup81 Send a message via Yahoo to SSJup81 Send a message via Skype™ to SSJup81
07-26-2008, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
Actually, I think I started this series sometime ago and never finished it. I'll have to take a look back.
As far as I know, both the manga and anime for Meitantei Conan are still ongoing. I wish I could watch the more recent episodes. There are a handful of episodes that I haven't seen, that I wish I could, as well as movie 11.
Quote:
What is Negima about?
It's about this 10 year old boy genius from Wales who is assigned to teach English-language at an all-girl in Japan. You know he's a genius because once he learned of his assignment, he had to learn Japanese, and he learned it fluently in like three weeks, or something like that. The main character, Negi, also has a secret. He's really a mage/wizard in training. He has to keep the secret, but being in a school setting and doing so turns to be difficult. Negi wants to become a Magister Magi because he wants to find his father, who disappeared years earlier. He still believe that he's alive. If you've ever read or seen Hunter x Hunter just think Gon in this sense. We know nothing of his mother, but Gon's father vanished without a trace, and Gon wants to find his father, hence why he became a Hunter in the first place.

There are two versions of the manga, if I'm not mistaken. One called Negima Neo or something based on the second anime series it had, then there's the original version, Mahou Sensei Negima: Magister Negi Magi (this is the one you'd want to read). It's licensed, so you should be able to buy it.

Last edited by SSJup81 : 07-26-2008 at 10:13 PM.