LinkBack Thread Tools
(#11 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-18-2008, 04:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
I see... your definition seems to be the one most accepted. I'm not sure why it matters that the animators and writers are from Japan though. Surely style is more important when defining genres no?
But there is no singular "anime style". There are as many styles as there are animators. Akira is very different from Princess Mononoke is very different from Paprika is very different from Sailor Moon.

I can be really influenced by Godard or Besson or Truffaut, but that doesn't mean if I make a movie it is French cinema.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

08-18-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
But there is no singular "anime style". There are as many styles as there are animators. Akira is very different from Princess Mononoke is very different from Paprika is very different from Sailor Moon.
Hmmm... when you put it that way I can see your point. I would say that Anime does have a style which is unique but that is based on an unfounded opinion which I can only loosely explain.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-18-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Hmmm... when you put it that way I can see your point. I would say that Anime does have a style which is unique but that is based on an unfounded opinion which I can only loosely explain.
Anime does have some certain patterns which distinguish it from other animation, just as American movies or French cinema have certain things that aren't necessarily universal, but are identifiable.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
SolidRaven (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to SolidRaven
08-18-2008, 05:31 AM

The clone Wars movie was just a huge saturday morning cartoon serial that star wars was really based from, a saturday morning cartoon series. the whole concept of star wars was a space opera how flash gordon was.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-18-2008, 06:42 AM

I did go see it this weekend, and although it was clearly directed toward younger viewers, it had some pretty cool battles and a visual style that is probably love-it or hate-it. One of the main characters, a Padawan named Ahsoka has a lot more 'tude than we are accustomed to seeing in Padawans, but she fits that "from the mouths of babes" innocence which sometimes makes the Jedi look a little stodgy, which I think is the point.

The most painful character was Jabba the Hutt's uncle Ziro, who speaks English (or Basic) in a fey southern accent, which is pretty obnoxious. I did like the original battle scenes, and like all good Star Wars we had light-saber battles, space battles, and on-the-ground army battles.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
Gofalk (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Gofalk Send a message via Yahoo to Gofalk Send a message via Skype™ to Gofalk
08-19-2008, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
I saw trailers for the new animated Star Wars movie. I grew up with the originals and couldn't believe Lucas animated the new one. But then I thought about it. Do you believe he's just tapping into the recent popularity of anime to gain a whole new audience of fans? Maybe he'll keep the young fans, gain the anime fans and doesn't need the old generation of fans?

well I kinda wish they just shot it live action instead of 3d.... it would have more interesting in my opinion
(#17 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

08-19-2008, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofalk View Post
well I kinda wish they just shot it live action instead of 3d.... it would have more interesting in my opinion
It's in 3D? Do you mean graphics or where you put on your blue and red glasses?
(#18 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-19-2008, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gofalk View Post
It's not 3D, it's CG, and it precludes a CD animated series that will come out.

The story isn't enough to rationalize a live action movie.
(#19 (permalink))
Old
Firu (Offline)
zero,can you move?

Send a message via MSN to Firu
08-19-2008, 08:50 AM

i for one quite enjoyed it,it's definately NOT anime and i guess not the greatest movie ever made but it was a good bit of fun which is what it was actually intended to be.and i thought the animaton was pretty decent,especially some of the outer space battle scenes
they did however annoy me by leaving out one thing,the scrolling intro! surely every star wars movie should have that,even if it is more of a spin-off!
(#20 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

08-19-2008, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firu View Post
i for one quite enjoyed it,it's definately NOT anime and i guess not the greatest movie ever made but it was a good bit of fun which is what it was actually intended to be.and i thought the animaton was pretty decent,especially some of the outer space battle scenes
they did however annoy me by leaving out one thing,the scrolling intro! surely every star wars movie should have that,even if it is more of a spin-off!
I agree. I was expecting the scrolling intro...especially thinking this might be the last Star Wars movie I see in the theater, but that may not be the case...