(#11 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
01-31-2009, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reihiino View Post
that would be like manga Law & Order...(which imo is a better show anyway)...this oughtta be interesting...
No...CSI is better...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
You guys do realize that it is not from Japan, not Japanese people are working on it. They are just calling it a "manga". Right?
So you're saying that if it's not made in Japan it's not Manga..woah..there's a few too many books errr "manga" out there that are not made in Japan and yet they are manga...woah...heck let's just call them picture books. I mean that's what they really are. Books with pictures, for teen and adult ages. They don't want people to know the truth about what they are really reading so they make names like "graphic novels" and "manga" so that they don't look toddlerish when they go pick up a "picture book" err...I mean "graphic novel/manga" at the local bookstore.

But anywayz....I hope the novel comes out as good as the t.v. series. Good luck to them.

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

01-31-2009, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slykaz1 View Post
So you're saying that if it's not made in Japan it's not Manga
I would absolutely say that. It's a marketing ploy to sell a graphic novel under the hip phrase "manga" because manga is popular. If Korean comics were popular would it be fair to call this CSI comic a "manhwa"? What is "manga" about this release?

Nothing.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
02-01-2009, 07:16 AM

"Hip phrase" or not. If the "picture book" sells, it sells japan made or not no matter the style. As long as the picture book is apealling to the audience than it'll sell no matter how much you argue the fact that it's not Japanese made.

It's like the Vampire thing. That is not of Japanese origin and yet it's in these titled "hip phrased" "picture books" and it sells. How many other books that were comics made into "hip phrased" "picture books" are there and have been successful?

And why not make a "hip phrased" "picture books" about on field detective work in the field of catching the bad guy in a whole different scenario. It'd be interesting to see, I haven't read a "hip phrased" "picture books" like that...yet. Now if it bothers you that the use of the "CSI" name is being used. Than you need to read past that. There are so many stories out there that so is like the other, teen girl in high school for the most part. Oh wait...I get it...Awww...no high school girls in tiny skirts with big chests are most likely not gonna be in it. heh. I wonder how the CSI team would look like... I wonder if it'll be as interesting as DeathNote.

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

02-01-2009, 07:32 AM

Quote:
"Hip phrase" or not. If the "picture book" sells, it sells japan made or not no matter the style.
Manga is not a style. Manga is the Japanese word for comics.

Whether this comic sells or not is not my issue. My issue is using the word "manga" for an American-made graphic novel based on an American TV show.

Quote:
As long as the picture book is apealling to the audience than it'll sell no matter how much you argue the fact that it's not Japanese made.
I am not sure your point here. If it is appealing to an audience, why does it need the "manga" label?

Quote:

It's like the Vampire thing. That is not of Japanese origin and yet it's in these titled "hip phrased" "picture books" and it sells. How many other books that were comics made into "hip phrased" "picture books" are there and have been successful?

And why not make a "hip phrased" "picture books" about on field detective work in the field of catching the bad guy in a whole different scenario. It'd be interesting to see, I haven't read a "hip phrased" "picture books" like that...yet.
You lost me here, Skylaz, and I really do want to understand what you are saying. Are you saying since there are Japanese manga about vampires, who are not Japanese monsters, then it is OK for American artists to declare open-season on the word "manga" and call whatever they like "manga"? If you are, you know i would surely disagree.

Quote:
Now if it bothers you that the use of the "CSI" name is being used. Than you need to read past that.
I couldn't care less they are making comics about CSI.

Quote:

There are so many stories out there that so is like the other, teen girl in high school for the most part. Oh wait...I get it...Awww...no high school girls in tiny skirts with big chests are most likely not gonna be in it. heh. I wonder how the CSI team would look like... I wonder if it'll be as interesting as DeathNote.
I am not sure what you are trying to say here, but it doesn't sound very kind, so I will just leave it at that.
(#15 (permalink))
Old
Miyavifan (Offline)
I Support DBSK always...

02-20-2009, 10:00 PM

Isn't writer's name(Sekou) a Japanese name, though?
but I am thinking if it's drawn in the Japanese style, then it's not manga.

hide... always in my heart. I love you.... my pink spider....
My one wish is 2 meet Kyo. seriously.
R.I.P. Jasmine....
(#16 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

02-20-2009, 10:26 PM

Manga is simply the Japanese word for comic, therefore it should pertain to Japanese comics (not "picture books" you putts)... that's like calling an American cartoon an anime just because it looks anime-ish.

^ Clearly an American attempt to emulate Japanese style.