JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

Delusional Manga Helpers tries to woo Viz. - 09-24-2009, 12:37 AM

I think someone has spent too much time scanning books and is starting to lose it.

Free Text Host - The Anonymous Text Hosting Service

Read the above, then the follow up here

You were wanting a post describing what is going on about the document that has been leaked. Well, here it is.

Before that though, let me take a minute to remind you what MH stands for. That is respect to those that create something.
In any and all cases of scanlation or translation stealing we have taken swift action to resolve the issue. From going to other sites to request - to banning the group/people/individual responsible. Why? Because we respect the work that people put into each thing they do.

The document posted was us presenting an opportunity for a great publisher to work with what we believe are the greatest fans they have. Each week fans of all kinds of manga dedicate their time, effort, and energy to help let others enjoy manga. That is the solid reason why MangaHelpers name is Manga Helpers. People helping others enjoy it. With this in mind, along with Crunchyroll's successful business model we created that draft. As you can see from spelling errors, grammar mistakes and the likes it is still in a very VERY rough form and extremely far from presentable. Why it was leaked at such a state is beyond me, but yet is has. And we are dealing with it.

The goal behind presenting that document to a company was so that we can promote the fans - not their work. We wanted to create a bridge between publisher and fan (scanlator - translator - artist) to help everyone work together and not only make online distribution legitimate, but to increase the amount of released manga by promoting the talented translators, editors and artists we have at MH. Through working with them, perhaps faster and better quality raws would have been do-able (like crunchyroll and their episodes). Or even professional translators helping out other translators on the site - sharing their experience and know how. By making what fans are doing legitimate, or at least finding a medium, we could have progressed so much further than being pirates leeching from the publishers.

Our goal was to find a way to support the publishers while keeping the fans - community - and those that work hard each week satisfied. Has this leak changed things? Probably so. As a result, when online distribution comes, chances are it'll be no different from anything in the past. Not saying that it's a bad thing, but it could be so much better.

In the end, all we were working for was a better place for everyone to enjoy the surreal worlds each manga introduces us to. In the end, we wanted to do good for everyone. Maybe, miraculously, something good may still come of all of this.

For now, that is all we have to say.

Taylor, Founder of MangaHelpers.

P.S. Just so we are crystal clear on this. As I stated in the opening, we respect everyone and the work they do. There were no plans for handing over any translations - scanlations or art that was released here. Our goal was for those that want to work with the official companies to have an easier shot at getting recognized. So anything and everything would be voluntary.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2009, 04:22 AM

I'm not sure what the drama is.

I thought the email was perfectly straightforward, and grammar aside, presentable.

I'm not a member of the MangaHelpers community, so that might explain why I don't give a damn.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-24-2009, 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
I'm not sure what the drama is.

I thought the email was perfectly straightforward, and grammar aside, presentable.

I'm not a member of the MangaHelpers community, so that might explain why I don't give a damn.
The drama is that a scanlation group would have the cajones to approach one of the publishers they essentially steal from and try and strike up a partnership where they have 0 leverage and 0 legality. It would be like a thief offering to sell you back the stuff he stole for 50% off the market price...and that thief gave you his home address and telephone number.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
burkhartdesu (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2009, 04:48 AM

Holy crap, I am obviously out of the manga-bootlegging-underworld-loop, and it's apparent colloquialisms. I've never heard the term "scanlation"

But this, MMM, is a scandalous bit of info.

That is respect to those that create something.
In any and all cases of scanlation or translation stealing we have taken swift action to resolve the issue. From going to other sites to request - to banning the group/people/individual responsible. Why? Because we respect the work that people put into each thing they do.

Is this not true? Because if they are taking measures to stop the situation, then it's really irrelevant whether the members are passing links and fansubbed manga. I bet people are doing the same via PMs on JapanForum.

---EDIT II---

After reading this several times, I've concluded that that guy was indeed, delusional, and was most likely drunk at the time.

Last edited by burkhartdesu : 09-24-2009 at 06:08 AM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-24-2009, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burkhartdesu View Post
Holy crap, I am obviously out of the manga-bootlegging-underworld-loop, and it's apparent colloquialisms. I've never heard the term "scanlation"

But this, MMM, is a scandalous bit of info.

That is respect to those that create something.

Is this not true? Because if they are taking measures to stop the situation, then it's really irrelevant whether the members are passing links and fansubbed manga. I bet people are doing the same via PMs on JapanForum.

---EDIT II---

After reading this several times, I've concluded that that guy sounded like was indeed, delusional, and was most likely drunk at the time.
I think he is talking about people stealing "their" scanlations, which they are stealing from the publisher they turn around and and offered a deal to. True craziness.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
trunker (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2009, 11:44 AM

wow, you would think that guy would have a better understanding of things since he is technically running a pirating site. i mean even piratebay acknowledge the piracy that their links enable.

its probably got alot to do with piratebay actually, i mean if its owners can turn around and flog it for millions then this guy has every right to try as well,as far fetched as it may seem.... especially if the companies themselves are making moves to make official translations thereby making the purpose of his forum void.

as you said MMM poor guy doesnt realize that he has no leverage, unlike piratebay.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Naoko (Offline)
Evil Muffin 奈央子

Send a message via AIM to Naoko
09-24-2009, 05:34 PM

The sad thing is, manga publishers have been pretty lenient about the scanlations, and fansubbing. Something like this may do nothing but cause them to start strictly enforcing the law. It's like going up and poking a complacent guard dog while you're robbing his owner's home.. He wasn't messing with you, but now that you've gone and poked him he's going to rip you apart. SMH

外人警報発令中!!!! ヽ(`Д')ノ
My Japanese still sucks. Feel free to correct me! Any constructive criticism is appreciated.((どうも、ナゴナゴさん!!))
(#8 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

09-24-2009, 07:27 PM

The comments are great (and long). There are some seriously insane people out there.

"Scanlations are by fans for fans" Ha ha!
(#9 (permalink))
Old
spoonybard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-24-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
I apologize for the lengthyness of this email
?!

....Sorry, but the grammar really makes me wonder about the age(and intelligence) of the people behind this particular site, and the fact that they are trying to make a profit from stuff made by another(in other words, piracy) contradicts the subsequent statement they made after people found out about this.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
09-24-2009, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I think he is talking about people stealing "their" scanlations, which they are stealing from the publisher they turn around and and offered a deal to. True craziness.
As far as I know Viz is only for USA. The scans they do are not yet licensed to Viz, so they are not 'stealing' (you're clearly trolling) from Viz.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?