JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Fansubbers - 11-26-2009, 04:27 PM

I'm just wondering (and consider it rhetorical if nothing else), why do fansubbers insist on a) using romanji to paste song lyrics in anime and b) translating the song lyrics into Eng?

Seems asinine to me, silly weeabos.

Last edited by xyzone : 11-26-2009 at 04:31 PM.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Runba (Offline)
Resident Tokusatsu Fan

Send a message via AIM to Runba Send a message via MSN to Runba Send a message via Yahoo to Runba Send a message via Skype™ to Runba
11-26-2009, 05:26 PM

tvnihon barely translate....

look at my journal to see why psychorunba

さあ、お前の罪を数えろ!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-26-2009, 06:07 PM

Ok, but I'm talking about the songs. Is there really a need to ruin an animation video with lame romanji lyric hardsubs? What's the thinking behind that? At the very least use kana text, but preferably nothing encoded; use softsubs.

And the en translations besides them, I just don't get that. People can look up the translation somewhere if they want; it does nothing for the video besides make it look dumb.

I just tried to get some previews for Macross Frontier and the opening song video which I like, and it was ruined by this, so I deleted it.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
11-26-2009, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzone View Post
Ok, but I'm talking about the songs. Is there really a need to ruin an animation video with lame romanji lyric hardsubs? What's the thinking behind that? At the very least use kana text, but preferably nothing encoded; use softsubs.

And the en translations besides them, I just don't get that. People can look up the translation somewhere if they want; it does nothing for the video besides make it look dumb.

I just tried to get some previews for Macross Frontier and the opening song video which I like, and it was ruined by this, so I deleted it.
Pffft, I want to see the translation there, makes no sense reading it without the song in background. Also, I prefer hardsubs for better styling.

Also, if you want to watch the video without any nuisance, watch the RAW, they are there already. Don't mess with fansubbed videos.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#5 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-26-2009, 06:40 PM

I am messing with them, and the practice sucks. Sorry.

As far as "styling" and "raws", look into the advanced substation subs and tell me how unstylish that is, and infinitely better than hardsubs. And to say that any romanji hardsubs is supposed to be stylish and "without a nuisance" is just something I answer with
Raws? Ok, that's nice if you can find them buried somewhere among the hardsubbed spam. Anyways, I will continue to delete and give bad feedback to hardsubbed content of any kind, but especially romanji lyrics and song translations.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

11-26-2009, 08:07 PM

Quote:

As far as "styling" and "raws", look into the advanced substation subs and tell me how unstylish that is, and infinitely better than hardsubs. And to say that any romanji hardsubs is supposed to be stylish and "without a nuisance" is just something I answer with
Raws? Ok, that's nice if you can find them buried somewhere among the hardsubbed spam. Anyways, I will continue to delete and give bad feedback to hardsubbed content of any kind, but especially romanji lyrics and song translations.
It so you can learn to sing the song in Japanese.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
11-26-2009, 10:49 PM

Quote:

Raws can be found easier than fansubs if you know where to search.

ASS can have problems on different players and the general user has no idea how to fix them. Hardsubs are more efficient if you want the video to look the same on almost any player.

Another reason is that with softsubs, fansubbers would have to provide a RAW, which not only would be stolen by other fansubs but a lot of people use them to sell in eBay, etc. There are a range of problems arisen if they would use softsubs, and only a fool would question why EVERY fansubber uses hardsubs without researching the reason.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#8 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-27-2009, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
It so you can learn to sing the song in Japanese.
I think people can hear how the song is sung just fine if they're caring about the song to begin with. And learning with Japanese text is better anyways. So far that's how I learned pretty much all the very few kanji I can remember.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
xyzone (Offline)
JF Old Timer

11-27-2009, 02:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
Raws can be found easier than fansubs if you know where to search.

ASS can have problems on different players and the general user has no idea how to fix them. Hardsubs are more efficient if you want the video to look the same on almost any player.

Another reason is that with softsubs, fansubbers would have to provide a RAW, which not only would be stolen by other fansubs but a lot of people use them to sell in eBay, etc. There are a range of problems arisen if they would use softsubs, and only a fool would question why EVERY fansubber uses hardsubs without researching the reason.
Ok, but it just sounds like excuses for mediocrity to me. I'm not buying it, but that's just me. And ASS is fine; if it's not, people need to drop buggy players. I mean, this is the same kind of thinking that thinks it should cater to archaic AVI and WMP, which of course go with archaic mp3. I mean, people can rip whatever they want, but I'd be willing to bet most people who are looking for opening song videos and the like are not going to prefer hardsubbed romaji, but in fact the opposite. And the insistence on how easy raws are is just silly and unfounded. I mean, not everyone has anime pirate sites as their homepage. Besides that it doesn't keep the hardsub floods from getting in the way.

Last edited by xyzone : 11-27-2009 at 02:58 AM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

11-27-2009, 03:29 AM

Your watching it for free and your still whining?

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.