What is Akira? 24 44.44%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

Question AKIRA... 'Nuf said... - 01-28-2010, 06:43 PM

I've just finished the fourth comic and about to read the fifth and totally hooked!!
I watched the cartoon before reading the comics and was blown away by the movie, I had no idea the comics were going to expand so much on the story, I mean it goes way past all the stuff that happen in the film. I LOVE IT!!
What are your opinions on both the film and comics? Where would be a good place to go from Akira?

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#2 (permalink))
Old
AzulieAngel (Offline)
Insane Shadow Roses

Question need to know - 01-30-2010, 01:17 AM

Why don't you tell us what it is about?
I have never heard of Akira and if it interest's me then i might consider learning more about it!

LIFE is just a game

That you can never WIN

while PLAYING because

DEATH sucks!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

01-30-2010, 02:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzulieAngel View Post
Why don't you tell us what it is about?
I have never heard of Akira and if it interest's me then i might consider learning more about it!
Uhm nutshell from the movie. Someone else is more than free to pick up the slack.

The japanese government did research into a god gene and eventually made a breakthrough when splicing it into humans, however this caused a catastrophy to occur and wiped out a large portion of Tokyo. The story takes place in the future, or "neo tokyo".

One of the test subjects breaks free and gets into an accident with the younger brother of a member of a bike gang. Their genes fuse for one reason or another and he begins to develop powers such as flight, telekinetic abilities, and super strength.

Eventually the power takes control of oh him and he destroys himself, and almost takes down neo tokyo with him. It's a bit of a stand off at the end and blah blah blah emotion.

ANYWAY

I haven't read the comics and have little interest in doing so. I own the DVD of the original 1988 anime film. I don't find the story that interesting, the only reason I own the DVD is because I fell in love with the animation detail. The entire thing has been rendered by hand; frame by frame.

Unless there is going to be another movie that has been hand rendered, or in the very least computer rendered to emulate the style of hand single frame rendering, then I feel the story should live as history and not present.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
IamKira (Offline)
Sulfer + KClO3 + Cu(1)Cl

01-30-2010, 02:31 AM

the movie was pretty interesting...

IamKira
(#5 (permalink))
Old
AzulieAngel (Offline)
Insane Shadow Roses

01-30-2010, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
Uhm nutshell from the movie. Someone else is more than free to pick up the slack.

The japanese government did research into a god gene and eventually made a breakthrough when splicing it into humans, however this caused a catastrophy to occur and wiped out a large portion of Tokyo. The story takes place in the future, or "neo tokyo".

One of the test subjects breaks free and gets into an accident with the younger brother of a member of a bike gang. Their genes fuse for one reason or another and he begins to develop powers such as flight, telekinetic abilities, and super strength.

Eventually the power takes control of oh him and he destroys himself, and almost takes down neo tokyo with him. It's a bit of a stand off at the end and blah blah blah emotion.

ANYWAY

I haven't read the comics and have little interest in doing so. I own the DVD of the original 1988 anime film. I don't find the story that interesting, the only reason I own the DVD is because I fell in love with the animation detail. The entire thing has been rendered by hand; frame by frame.

Unless there is going to be another movie that has been hand rendered, or in the very least computer rendered to emulate the style of hand single frame rendering, then I feel the story should live as history and not present.
Thank you that sounds interesting.
I'll try to see if I can find it so I can watch it.

LIFE is just a game

That you can never WIN

while PLAYING because

DEATH sucks!
(#6 (permalink))
Old
blackscroll (Offline)
New to JF

01-30-2010, 09:56 PM

I really liked the manga so I bought the movie, and I didn't like it. The beginning was good and such but they changed so many things near the end that it (in my opinion) sucked.

read the manga cuz it's really good
(#7 (permalink))
Old
metalmark666 (Offline)
JF Regular

Question 01-31-2010, 11:14 PM

I've finished reading the books now, can anyone recommend a good/great series to check out now?
P.S. The Akira books were amazing!!!!!

Please read my diary that I wrote when travelling and working in Japan for three months. It is also packed full of information. I hope that it can inspire you to have an adventure too.
Please contact me if I can help you with advice or information.

Japan 2008: Memoires of a Gaijin A.K.A. A Journey Through the Land of the Rising Sun
(#8 (permalink))
Old
iPhantom (Offline)
is a pretty cool guy

Send a message via AIM to iPhantom Send a message via MSN to iPhantom Send a message via Skype™ to iPhantom
01-31-2010, 11:17 PM

Somebody needs to lower their font size when posting.

Quote:
Since when is it immature to talk about pudding? Seriously, do you know the meaning of mature?
(#9 (permalink))
Old
JasonTakeshi (Offline)
Conceptual Doubt

02-01-2010, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhantom View Post
Somebody needs to lower their font size when posting.
And why should she do that?

Too many people spend money they haven't earned, to buy things they don't want, to impress people they don't like.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

02-01-2010, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTakeshi View Post
And why should she do that?
Takes up too much of the screen for so little information. It's unnecessary.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.