JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

The popularity of anime/manga in Japan. - 07-28-2007, 02:27 AM

So I was just wondering...is anime as popular in Japan as doramas, cooking shows, game shows, music shows ect.?
Exactly how popular is anime in Japan? Because they seem to make an awful lot of the stuff for it to not be popular. I mean they pump out LOADS of the comics and cartoons. Far more than we do here in the states.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

anime in japan - 07-28-2007, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kireikoori View Post
So I was just wondering...is anime as popular in Japan as doramas, cooking shows, game shows, music shows ect.?
Exactly how popular is anime in Japan? Because they seem to make an awful lot of the stuff for it to not be popular. I mean they pump out LOADS of the comics and cartoons. Far more than we do here in the states.
Of course its popular in Japan. Its probably more popular in Japan then anywhere else. Infact I doubt there is anyone in Japan who hasnt seen at least one anime. Although in Japan being Otaku is like the equavilant of being a social retard, nerd, freak.
(#3 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

07-28-2007, 03:29 AM

Well I didn't figure it was completely unpopular. But what about for adults? They make alot more more mature anime out there. In the US cartoons are simply for kids. Shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy are the exceptions.

I constantly hear that in Japan alot of the more mature themed Japanese animation shows are still aimed at kids. How large of an adult fanbase do Japanese cartoons have? And if it's popular with adults how does it's popularity compare with other entertainment like dorama?
(#4 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

... - 07-28-2007, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kireikoori View Post
Well I didn't figure it was completely unpopular. But what about for adults? They make alot more more mature anime out there. In the US cartoons are simply for kids. Shows like The Simpsons and Family Guy are the exceptions.

I constantly hear that in Japan alot of the more mature themed Japanese animation shows are still aimed at kids. How large of an adult fanbase do Japanese cartoons have? And if it's popular with adults how does it's popularity compare with other entertainment like dorama?

Well Im not 100% sure on all those questions.
However, the really mature stuff is mainly aimed at teens, and the main audience is teens, there are anime that everyone has seen, including adults.
EVERYONE has seen the famouse Doraemon, and Sazae-San. Also everyone in Japan AND america has seen at least one of Miyazaki's movies. Also everyone has seen Shin-Chan. Also, directors like Oshi Mamaruo, and Satoshi Kon are both very famouse and many people have seen there work. Also many people have seen Takahashi's works (urusei yatsura, ranma 1/2, inuyasha, etc.)

So those were just some really classic anime, and anime directors (that im sure you know about so I should have even mentioned them)
Stuff like that is classic and almost everyone has seen them. Basicly only teens watch alot. Adults mainly watch classic stuff like what I just mentioned, they probably dont watch much else (just the stuff they grew up with)

I think anime is probably more popular then anything else on Japanese TV. Notice how anime is high-budget high-quality productions, while everything else is cheaply done. Anime is EXTREMLEY popular. It must get better ratings then everything else to get such high budgets.

I think the only other thing that adults like, besides the classics, is seinen manga. That stuff is VERY mature and usualy apeals alot more to adults then teens.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

07-28-2007, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEJAPAN View Post
Well Im not 100% sure on all those questions.
However, the really mature stuff is mainly aimed at teens, and the main audience is teens, there are anime that everyone has seen, including adults.
EVERYONE has seen the famouse Doraemon, and Sazae-San. Also everyone in Japan AND america has seen at least one of Miyazaki's movies. Also everyone has seen Shin-Chan. Also, directors like Oshi Mamaruo, and Satoshi Kon are both very famouse and many people have seen there work. Also many people have seen Takahashi's works (urusei yatsura, ranma 1/2, inuyasha, etc.)

Well, the really mature stuff is aimed at adults.

Anime is enjoyed by people of all ages, from little kids to businessmen. A Ghibli movie will be certainly get a lot of attention, and "nostalgic" classics often see a resurgence (like the recent Cutey-Honey live action movie. Overall I would anime in general is enjoyed by younger people. Like ILOVEJAPAN said, there are certainly otaku, and probably a lot of the videos we enjoy are enjoyed more by otaku than by super-wide audiences (

So those were just some really classic anime, and anime directors (that im sure you know about so I should have even mentioned them)
Stuff like that is classic and almost everyone has seen them. Basicly only teens watch alot. Adults mainly watch classic stuff like what I just mentioned, they probably dont watch much else (just the stuff they grew up with)

I think anime is probably more popular then anything else on Japanese TV. Notice how anime is high-budget high-quality productions, while everything else is cheaply done. Anime is EXTREMLEY popular. It must get better ratings then everything else to get such high budgets.

I think the only other thing that adults like, besides the classics, is seinen manga. That stuff is VERY mature and usualy apeals alot more to adults then teens.
Well, the really mature stuff is aimed at adults.

Anime is enjoyed by people of all ages, from little kids to businessmen. A Ghibli movie will be certainly get a lot of attention, and "nostalgic" classics often see a resurgence (like the recent Cutey-Honey live action movie). Overall I would say anime in general is enjoyed by younger people. Like ILOVEJAPAN said, there are certainly otaku, and probably a lot of the videos we enjoy are enjoyed more by otaku than by super-wide audiences. There are certainly very popular, long-running anime, like Doraemon and Chibi Maruko-chan and Sazae-san that are enjoyed by the whole family, but not a lot of other anime plays in prime-time. It is more expensive to produce and takes longer than the more popular variety and talk shows that fill up most of the evening hours on TV.

That's just my opinion on the matter...
(#6 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

im stupid LOL - 07-28-2007, 04:24 PM

I mostly agree with what you said MMM

I would just like to say though, that I made an error in my writing.

First I said the really mature stuff is mainly for teens, then I said it was mainly for adults.

That dosent make sence does it?

What I meant to say was violants and sex anime is aimed at teens (even if it may seem aimed at adults) but OTHER types of mature stuff like deep, phylisophical thought provoking stuff is aimed at adults.

But mainly what I was trying to say is only otaku go out and try to watch as much anime as humanly possible, but there are some classics that everyone has seen or at least heard about.

Still even if it is very looked down upon to be otaku in Japan, anime and manga is HUGE in Japan and you see it everywhere. Even people who arent Otaku have a few anime that they really enjoy watching (maybe in secret though)

I still think its much more commonly watched in Japan then other Japanese TV shows. If other things were watched more they would have higher budgets.

At least thats my understanding...I could b completley wrong about everything I just wrote....
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Haggis (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-28-2007, 04:54 PM

I was surprised how little anime and manga I saw in Japan. I was in Tokyo for 4 days and only saw about 6 people reading manga on subways the whole time I was there. (I was talking to a Japanese guide about this and said I enjoyed Manga, ie. Hi no Tori by Osamu Tezuka, he just shrugged and said that I probably knew more about it than he did)

Anyway, back in my hotel I often switched on the telly wondering what anime was on... and I never got to see any. It seemed to me I had to go out my way to find anime ie. by going to Akihabara. Sure places like Tower Records and HMV stocked it but it was a tiny amount compared to the American movies. Perhaps I just went to the wrong places? (Oh there were loads of anime signs and posters about but they were mostly related to Pachinko parlors, no anime to be found there)

Last edited by Haggis : 07-28-2007 at 05:05 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
kyo_9 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Yahoo to kyo_9
07-28-2007, 05:32 PM

anime is very popular in japan..
the proof is the cosplay..
do you know cosplay?

LiVe Ur LiFe
Don't do drugs!

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
07-29-2007, 03:27 AM

I think that a lot of people automatically assume that anime is hugely popular in Japan just because it`s *from* Japan.

It`s just another form of media. It really isn`t all that particularly special, really.
Normal people will watch an anime here or there, and read manga every once in a while.

Just like people will watch a soap opera here or there, or read a fashion magazine every once in a while.

Anime doesn`t take up much time on normal tv - sure, you can get an anime only channel via satellite or cable, but you can also get a 24 hour golf channel. It doesn`t mean everyone watches it.
On normal broadcast channels, series have one episode a week. Little little kiddie shows aren`t even usually on every day. It really is a very tiny percentage of programming, and anime "fans" are really a very very small percentage of the population. It`s silly to assume that fringe culture is mainstream - like cosplay, otaku, etc.

I`d say that anime and manga are no more popular that any other type of media.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
kireikoori (Offline)
Haplogroup N(Y-DNA)

07-29-2007, 03:32 AM

^ Your words seem to strengthen my assumption that dorama is more popular than anime. Am I right?