JF Ossan

03-08-2008, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anna7 View Post
[url removed.]
try this

MMM's right, please send it to her via PM or something else. ^_^

~ CoolNard
With all due respect, CoolNard, if she wants the manga she needs to go to the bookstore or to the library to read it. Illegal downloading kills manga series more than illegal music downloading kills bands because they can always tour.

As someone who works hard to bring manga and novels from Japanese to English (and helped work on Blood+) I would much appreciate not stepping on my income by downloading illegal copies of published material.

Then a way to start is to deal with those illegal download sites personally, because as long as they're there, and as long as humans exist, your income will always be externally 'managed'.

P.S. I'm replying via this channel so it won't be derailed.

Last edited by CoolNard : 03-09-2008 at 05:39 AM.
(#12 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-09-2008, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
Then a way to start is to deal with those illegal download sites personally, because as long as they're there, and as long as humans exist, your income will always be externally 'managed'.

P.S. I'm replying via this channel so it won't be derailed.
As an individual I don't have the power to shut down sites like that, but trust me, publishers aggressively pursue websites that post thier goods for free online. Sometimes its hard when they are located overseas, but they do what they can.

Just because they are there and humans exist doesn't mean that JF doesn't have the responsibilty to encourage legal over illegal uses of the internet.

I mention my income not to sound important, but to point out that real people, not faceless corporations, are hurt when people illegally download or read/watch anime and manga online.
(#13 (permalink))
Old
ILOVEJAPAN (Offline)
JF Old Timer

03-10-2008, 02:11 AM

Not to mention it effects the consumer too. The more you download the less anime and manga will be produced...People make things so they can get money...it's like 2+2.
(#14 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-10-2008, 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEJAPAN View Post
Not to mention it effects the consumer too. The more you download the less anime and manga will be produced...People make things so they can get money...it's like 2+2.
You are absolutely right. How many have you have had a series stop after three volumes? Lots of times publishers get mountains of email saying "Why did you cancel my favorite series?!?"

"Were you actually buying it?"

"..."
(#15 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
03-10-2008, 04:17 PM

Quote:
As an individual I don't have the power to shut down sites like that, but trust me, publishers aggressively pursue websites that post thier goods for free online. Sometimes its hard when they are located overseas, but they do what they can.

Just because they are there and humans exist doesn't mean that JF doesn't have the responsibilty to encourage legal over illegal uses of the internet.

I mention my income not to sound important, but to point out that real people, not faceless corporations, are hurt when people illegally download or read/watch anime and manga online.
I'm not saying JF doesn't have the responsibility to, I'm saying it's the way things are. Being practical and being logical are what I consider bigger responsibilities. It would be pointless for us to go an extra mile, without anything in it for us. I know it's precisely because everyone has a similar mindset, that's why we're at a stalemate. But this is reality, and in reality, "one doesn't make much difference."

Also, if it really affects the consumers, then why don't people stop? The answer is that new anime will always be made, or at least, that's how the majority sees it. It's willing to sacrifice a couple of anime endings to indulge in whole new series's, with the minor possibility it could face the same fate.

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.
(#16 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

03-13-2008, 01:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNard View Post
I'm not saying JF doesn't have the responsibility to, I'm saying it's the way things are. Being practical and being logical are what I consider bigger responsibilities. It would be pointless for us to go an extra mile, without anything in it for us. I know it's precisely because everyone has a similar mindset, that's why we're at a stalemate. But this is reality, and in reality, "one doesn't make much difference."

Also, if it really affects the consumers, then why don't people stop? The answer is that new anime will always be made, or at least, that's how the majority sees it. It's willing to sacrifice a couple of anime endings to indulge in whole new series's, with the minor possibility it could face the same fate.
Why don't people stop? Because people are selfish. The thing is, in the music business a hit is a CD that can sell a million copies. In manga its closer to 10,000. Every time you read a licensed manga online it is as damaging as downloading 100 CDs illegally. Just a few hundred people reading a manga online instead of buying it can be enough to force the publisher to cut a serieds off early.

How many people come to JF? Still think adamantly blocking those links doesn't make a difference?

But that's off the topic.

For Blood+ fans, you should know that the first novelizatation of Blood+ comes out next week. It's a nice big book with some great secrets and finer details than is shown in the anime. Check it out! I'd love to hear what you think...
(#17 (permalink))
Old
CoolNard (Offline)
Yours Rightfully Insolent

Send a message via MSN to CoolNard
03-13-2008, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Why don't people stop? Because people are selfish. The thing is, in the music business a hit is a CD that can sell a million copies. In manga its closer to 10,000. Every time you read a licensed manga online it is as damaging as downloading 100 CDs illegally. Just a few hundred people reading a manga online instead of buying it can be enough to force the publisher to cut a serieds off early.

How many people come to JF? Still think adamantly blocking those links doesn't make a difference?
Exactly, you put your and my points across more concisely than I could have ever hoped. People being selfish is part of reality, because selfishness insinuates self-benefit. I don't mean self-benefit on a personal level, I refer to the big picture when I say that: "new anime will always be made", "willing to sacrifice a couple of anime endings to indulge in whole new series".

I'm sorry, but I'm afraid JF doesn't include the exclusive priviledge of watching illegal anime/manga if you don't register a membership.

Edited: Obtw, there are some who apparently think Blood+ = Trinity Blood. I've got baaaad news, they aren't the same, lol. xD

There's no such thing as happy endings, for when you find true love, happiness is everlasting.

Last edited by CoolNard : 03-13-2008 at 04:21 AM.
(#18 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

04-19-2009, 02:39 AM

you can go to borders ^^
(#19 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-19-2009, 03:13 AM

Did we really need that necropost?