>>
(#72 (permalink))
Old
Slykaz1 (Offline)
Tengoku!

Send a message via MSN to Slykaz1 Send a message via Yahoo to Slykaz1
12-27-2009, 04:37 AM

lmao...

I wish I had this for my english teacher...she would have keeled over from laughter.

Property of Eiri & Pexster
Virtual Boyfriend...Hyakushi in *Indian suit*

Eiri - 41 : Rojjin -43 : Sly - 121 : Yuna7780 - 57 : reihino - 14 : Crani - 22 : Ramones1976 - 0 : AnimeBaby112 - 3 : Arikado - 1 : KikiBunny23 - 3 : Pexter -0
(#73 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
01-03-2011, 08:56 PM

I just watched this funny video on youtube and thought it'd be fitting for this thread.

George Carlin. Always worth your time. Enough said. Enjoy.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#74 (permalink))
Old
GinaS (Offline)
JF Regular

01-08-2011, 09:41 AM

Interesting thread.

I'm surprised to hear people say that English is easy to learn. I would think it would be very difficult, at least to read and write, because of all the differing pronunciations the same letter combinations can produce, or even just individual letters.

I think this is because English has so many different root languages represented in its words, maybe more than any other language, for all I know. Does any other language have a dictionary the size of the Oxford English Unabridged? That thing weighs in at something like 180 pounds.

There's an old joke about "ghoti" being pronounced as "fish," if you take your cues from the "gh" in "rough," the 'o' in "women," and the "ti" in "nation."

But I think the worst offender is "ough." If you don't know, you can't guess. It can be pronounced as in

through, rhymes with blue,
though, rhymes with glow,
thought, rhymes with hot,
cough, rhymes with scoff,
hiccough, rhymes with cup,
bough, rhymes with how,
rough, rhymes with cuff,
and Yough, rhymes with rock, names of a trail, lake, school district, etc., in Pennsylvania on the Youghiogheny (Yawk-uh-gay-nee) River (from Algonquian).

If that were the only letter combo that was problematic, it'd be one thing, but it's beyond me how people who don't grow up with it ever learn it. My hat's off to y'all.

Last edited by GinaS : 01-08-2011 at 09:44 AM.
(#75 (permalink))
Old
nobora (Offline)
Fan Ichigou

01-08-2011, 10:28 PM

lol i find this to be funny and yet true. My mom has these problems when writing in english or speaking it and I do too sometimes but its true English is a hard language to learn when your not young.
(#76 (permalink))
Old
NanteNa (Offline)
sixth gun.

Send a message via Skype™ to NanteNa
01-08-2011, 11:40 PM

Ahh I love wordplay.. I think wordplay isn't just for the English language.. All languages have their tiny contradictions to them.

[ <-- Jordan's heart! \(Ò_ó)/ ]
Follow me on TUMBLR
"Well if a chick has a problem with the way I conduct myself I'd draw the bitch
a map to the nearest exit and stamp "fuck off" on her forehead."
- Pot Roast
(#77 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
01-09-2011, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GinaS View Post
I'm surprised to hear people say that English is easy to learn. I would think it would be very difficult, at least to read and write, because of all the differing pronunciations the same letter combinations can produce, or even just individual letters.
It's easier than most languages. English is essentially a very logical language, in terms of grammar and sentence structure. Like faaar easier than any other language I know of.

Pronunciation is the hardest part about it, but you learn it over time. Plus, everyone's used to hearing English in both music and movies/tv, so pronunciation catches on quickly cause you've heard every word before and eventually you learn how to sound it out the right way.

However, you get than in almost every language. At least with vowels.

Quote:
There's an old joke about "ghoti" being pronounced as "fish," if you take your cues from the "gh" in "rough," the 'o' in "women," and the "ti" in "nation."

But I think the worst offender is "ough." If you don't know, you can't guess. It can be pronounced as in

through, rhymes with blue,
though, rhymes with glow,
thought, rhymes with hot,
cough, rhymes with scoff,
hiccough, rhymes with cup,
bough, rhymes with how,
rough, rhymes with cuff,
and Yough, rhymes with rock, names of a trail, lake, school district, etc., in Pennsylvania on the Youghiogheny (Yawk-uh-gay-nee) River (from Algonquian).
Hahaha awsome!

Yeah, it doesn't make sense whatsoever that one word written in one specific way can be pronounced in two distinct ways, as it's the case with either/neither.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#78 (permalink))
Old
termogard (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Smile learning - 01-09-2011, 03:04 AM

Quote:
Interesting thread.
Heh, heh
Try to learn, say, Chinese and you will quickly change your opinion
(#79 (permalink))
Old
Rinai (Offline)
JF Regular

01-20-2011, 05:47 AM

Hm, hm. This actually reminded me of this paradoxical poem I found a long time ago. I think English is a fun language to communicate in. As far as learning it, I know it's hell for a lot and comes natural for others. There's one guy in my class who learned to get by fluently in three years and there's.... a lot who still have trouble reading out the word 'degeneration'. For me. I just really like how... English can really project a lot of personalities around. {I haven't really studied any other language hardcore as English.}

Rin no talk. 私の一番な色は何ですか。「Day--」 黒沼爽子と翔太くん。いつでも/もじもじ-- 30
(#80 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

02-04-2011, 05:46 AM

English utilizes many words from everywhere else. It's more of a mutt lanquage.