JapanForum.com  

View Poll Results: Should English be made the second official language in Japan?
YES 41 47.13%
NO 32 36.78%
Undecided 16 18.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
YanBrassard (Offline)
JF Regular

04-09-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
I could see doing it for only one reason, and that is a greater relevance amongst the international science community. I have seen it said in a couple different places that despite Japan's large science and technology community they have a relatively small presence at international confrences and generate a small number of technical papers. The reason given for this is the poor english skills of Japanese scientists and engineers. English is the defacto language of scientific communication and usually the required language for presentations and papers. By making English an official language of Japan the english literacy would increase and so would the Japanese presence at international scientific events.
They're not obligated to make English as an official language of Japan to increase the English skills of Japanese scientists and engineers. They just need to force them to learn English as a second language during their school formation.

Je respecte ceux qui me respectent.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-09-2009, 07:06 AM

Expecting scientists to explain themselves in a language other than their own is a barbed-wire to progress.

There are thousands of talented translators who can translate their findings when needed. Why make the scientist learn a foreign language?
(#33 (permalink))
Old
kMal (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via Skype™ to kMal
04-09-2009, 09:12 AM

I agree with MMM. Let us not forget that every nation has to have the freedom to operate internationally in her own language if it wishes to !

music reflects the soul of the man
(#34 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

04-09-2009, 10:01 AM

Japan is "trying" to internationalize so I guess English as a second language would be a good start.

Surely it's bound to happen as the language is so dominant in the world and the wishes of so many Japanese wishing they could speak English..

Nothing wrong with Japanese but I would think it's ashame not to know and use a second language...

I think most people enjoy speaking a second language....

Lighten up guys.. It's not that bad
(#35 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

04-09-2009, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kMal View Post
I agree with MMM. Let us not forget that every nation has to have the freedom to operate internationally in her own language if it wishes to !
That is fine and dandy but the international science community doesn't work that way. They produce papers in english and give lectures in english. Occasionally an organization will allow two choices, english or the national language where they are headquartered. And the reason to learn english as a scientist is that rarely do organizations allow guest presenters of papers. Additionally, a translator wouldn't be allowed to present the paper only someone trained in the field and familiar with the research. Not having good english skills as a researcher is akin to not having certain computer skills. You are ultimately reliant on someone else more than is neccesary and you can't be certain of the result you get from the translator/computer operator if you can't generate the results yourself.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
ozkai (Offline)
X Kyoto

04-09-2009, 12:22 PM

Quote:
That is fine and dandy but the international science community doesn't work that way. They produce papers in english and give lectures in english. Occasionally an organization will allow two choices, english or the national language where they are headquartered. And the reason to learn english as a scientist is that rarely do organizations allow guest presenters of papers. Additionally, a translator wouldn't be allowed to present the paper only someone trained in the field and familiar with the research. Not having good english skills as a researcher is akin to not having certain computer skills. You are ultimately reliant on someone else more than is neccesary and you can't be certain of the result you get from the translator/computer operator if you can't generate the results yourself.
Well said

I am not understanding this Japanese VS English thing that so many seem perplexed about..

It's just not about that....
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
04-09-2009, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozkai View Post
Japan is "trying" to internationalize so I guess English as a second language would be a good start.

Surely it's bound to happen as the language is so dominant in the world and the wishes of so many Japanese wishing they could speak English..

Nothing wrong with Japanese but I would think it's ashame not to know and use a second language...

I think most people enjoy speaking a second language....

Lighten up guys.. It's not that bad
Actually, I think it is worse than that. Japanese do have the chance to learn english- they make schools just to learn.

Why make it a second language. Other countries can choose to have that, but Japan doesn't really bloody need it.
Latin used to be the most sought after language itself...look at it now?

And for people who want english to be the international communication and only language- that is pure selfishness :/

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Pexster (Offline)
j'adore le baise tu

04-09-2009, 03:48 PM

Since Spanish is required(2nd language) in California(In High School and Middle Schools), most people dislike it.

But if the Majority of the Japanese voted to require it, I wouldn't see anything wrong with it.

A Dream Of Form In Days Of Thought

www.mydramalist.com

Eiri is my Property, Bitches.

Last edited by Pexster : 04-09-2009 at 04:48 PM.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Kayci (Offline)
The odd Gaijin :3

Send a message via MSN to Kayci
04-09-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pexster View Post
Since Spanish is required(2nd language) in California(In High School and Middle Schools), most people dislike it.

But if the Majority of the Japanese voted to require it, I wouldn't see anything wrong with it.
Excuse me, I live in Fresno.
Foreign language in high school is usually required, for university, but it's not Spanish.
I never took it.
I took french, and am now taking Chinese.

It's not a requirement.
It's wise, I think, but not a requirement in all of california.

Coffee prevents me from killing you.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

04-09-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
What percentage of Japanese citizens are scientists?