JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#151 (permalink))
Old
harrypotter (Offline)
New to JF

05-31-2007, 06:18 PM

You're learning Mandarin for fun or for any other use ?? Hope u don't mind me asking n_n
(#152 (permalink))
Old
xYinniex (Offline)
Quit yo' jibber jabber!

05-31-2007, 09:16 PM

hmm, its a big language. And i was forced to go mandarin school since i was a kid ( hated it) until i got older, i quit my chinese school because i hated the teachers and the people there so much. They were just so, fake. The headteacher hated me for no apparent reason. I would get 90% on a test and he would go *stupid girl* whereas my friend got 65% and he said something nice to her. I just didnt like the way justice worked in that frigging school.

anyways, so i quit. I didnt realise until 6 months later that maybe i was good at it. So i took it up again. Taiwanezse dramas helped improve it alot, because you learn so much conversational language from there. so i guess, before it was for academic reasons as i was forced to. Now, i just learn for fun. Why? because there are hot guys in taiwanese dramas, which makes it more delightful

"I'm sorry, but i must have given you the impression that I actually care about your opinions"
(#153 (permalink))
Old
rain1 (Offline)
New to JF

06-02-2007, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgashi View Post
You mixed up Cantonese and Mandarin Heheh. Yi Sheng is Cantonese. Da fu is Mandarin. The others are fine.
Buddy,You just got something wrong. Doctor could be said as Yi Sheng(医生) very commonly in both Mandarin and Cantonese. Also, some people who speak Mandarin call doctor as Dai Fu(大夫), but not Da Fu(大夫). Althougth they have the same character of Chinese, the pronunciations have a little bit differences. So if you call someone Da Fu(大夫), that means whom you are calling is an omnipotent bureaucrat in ancient.
(#154 (permalink))
Old
rain1 (Offline)
New to JF

06-02-2007, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marukyusu View Post
so? every culture has been influenced by another culture. Chinese culture originates from Manchuria, Mongolia etc. Chinese culture of today differs from Chinese culture 2000 years ago as much as Japanese culture of today differs from today's Chinese culture. Japanese and Chinese cultures are very different nowadays.
yz,buddy,i agree with you only on some point you mentioned. Chinese people indeed derive from Mongolia dating back more than 5000 years ago,but at that time there was no any tribe or culture existed in Manchuria. As i know, the formation of Chinese culture is dynamic, it took thousands of years. and it culminated in Chin, Han Dynasty and Tang Dynasty. In that period, many cultures around China as Tibet, Korea, Japan Indian even middle east were sending their people to do the transaction as well as bringing back the chinese advanced things like china(瓷器)and silk.The famous Silk Road is still well known in the word. That is why China can influence other cultures. By the way, China were also influenced by others, for example the Boddism which was introduced from Indian. However, Chinese culture as Han culture kept decaying in the following Dynastis. Even now, the new China lost their original culture after passing through the Qing Dynasty(满洲) and the Culture Revorution held by Chairman Mao.
(#155 (permalink))
Old
enyafriend (Offline)
JF Old Timer

06-02-2007, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hisgashi
You mixed up Cantonese and Mandarin Heheh. Yi Sheng is Cantonese. Da fu is Mandarin. The others are fine.
IMHO, yi sheng is more universally spoken for doctor in todays world. Dai fu is used mostly in written language, in drama subtitles and in certain parts of China and Taiwan. It is an out-of-date term and used often in period dramas. LOL.

Hokkaido e ikitai........
(#156 (permalink))
Old
YaksokuDa (Offline)
Banned

06-02-2007, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrypotter View Post
You're learning Mandarin for fun or for any other use ?? Hope u don't mind me asking n_n
Haha, I hope they hurry up and teach it in school! We will have to speak it soon anyway.

Edit: Wont we have to learn both? =___=

(#157 (permalink))
Old
Hisgashi (Offline)
顺德人

06-04-2007, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enyafriend View Post
IMHO, yi sheng is more universally spoken for doctor in todays world. Dai fu is used mostly in written language, in drama subtitles and in certain parts of China and Taiwan. It is an out-of-date term and used often in period dramas. LOL.
Yeah, Dai fu or Dau fu is mainly written, but it's not 'out of date' a lot of people still use it.

Chinois~ and proud : D
(#158 (permalink))
Old
Hisgashi (Offline)
顺德人

06-04-2007, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain1 View Post
Buddy,You just got something wrong. Doctor could be said as Yi Sheng(医生) very commonly in both Mandarin and Cantonese. Also, some people who speak Mandarin call doctor as Dai Fu(大夫), but not Da Fu(大夫). Althougth they have the same character of Chinese, the pronunciations have a little bit differences. So if you call someone Da Fu(大夫), that means whom you are calling is an omnipotent bureaucrat in ancient.
Dai Fu, is Cantonese. You must be reading Wikipedia too much. 'omnipotent bureaucrat' was it's older meaning. They don't refer to it with that meaning nowadays.

BUT! When I said 'You mixed up Cantonese and Mandarin Heheh. Yi Sheng is Cantonese. Da fu is Mandarin. The others are fine.' That was completely wrong.

Chinois~ and proud : D
(#159 (permalink))
Old
Kaicui (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

06-04-2007, 07:42 PM

i say both yi shen and da fu...same thing 2 ways to say it
(#160 (permalink))
Old
jayE (Offline)
New to JF

06-04-2007, 07:48 PM

my mate is from hong kong i dont know what he on about most the time tho lolz i feel bad