JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-11-2011, 11:38 AM

Hello again Supperman,

Yes. we too here in UK have had many floods when the river overflows the embankments.

I am glad to hear that it is not all concrete along rivers on the outskirts of cities etc.

I would love to explore the countryside of Japan.

I really admire the way you are mastering the ENGLISH LANGUAGE-- it must be really difficult compared to your native language. You should be proud of yourself.

even English people have problems--but it is all worthwhile.

by the way that fisherman's rod is leaning across the ornamental barrier, or railing. I am uncertain of the correct description for that--Maybe Balustrade
(#22 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-11-2011, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supperman View Post
Hi.

http://www.english-test.net/images/toeic/193.jpg
Canoeing / TOEIC

This is a photo of a river kayak racing. Or a practice preparing for the race.

At the center of the photo, one player in a purple top and a white best is paddling on the green kayak. I can’t see the number of his back. He is wearing a black helmet and holding a black paddle which has twin oars.

There are poles hanging over the river vertically as the makers of indicating the course. Some poles are red-and-white-striped color, and others are green and white stripes.
He’s just passing through the pole No.19, while other two players are almost passing No.20, which seems to be the goal. Two players have already finished racing and looking at other players to come. There are five players to be seen in this photo. The man is behind of the other 4 players.

The river is relatively calm, and I don’t see white water. There is a big rock at the right edge of the photo. There is another big rock at the left edge.

It is daytime, and it is cloudy. At the background of the picture, there seems to be a tree without leaves. It might be winter season, though it is less likely to run a race at winter season. And I can see greens on the other sites of the photo.
So the tree without leaves is probably dead now.

///////////////////////////
Well, I don't have any opinion/comment about this photo. It is just the photo as it is.
I don't think it an interesting photo....

OK. I'll tell something.
I searched about "canoe" and they say how to distinguish "canoe" and "kayak".
If the paddle has only one oar, it is called as a canoe.
If the paddle has two oars on both sides, it is called as a kayak.
But another explanation says that a kayak is one type of a canoe....

Definition of things is difficult from time to time....
the paddle of a kayak can be double bladed. still only one paddle for each person. A blade at each end of the paddle--not two paddles for each person.

Here is a website that explains clearly.

What's the difference between a canoe and a kayak? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers
(#23 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-11-2011, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsbody70 View Post
Hello again Supperman,

Yes. we too here in UK have had many floods when the river overflows the embankments.

I am glad to hear that it is not all concrete along rivers on the outskirts of cities etc.

I would love to explore the countryside of Japan.

I really admire the way you are mastering the ENGLISH LANGUAGE-- it must be really difficult compared to your native language. You should be proud of yourself.

even English people have problems--but it is all worthwhile.

by the way that fisherman's rod is leaning across the ornamental barrier, or railing. I am uncertain of the correct description for that--Maybe Balustrade
The black balustrade's ornaments consist of two geometric pattern. The upper one-fifths consists of repeated-capital-R letters, like RRRRRRRRRRRR.
The rest four-fifth consists of overlapping repeated circles.
????

Last edited by Supperman : 07-11-2011 at 12:16 PM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-11-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
the paddle of a kayak can be double bladed. still only one paddle for each person. A blade at each end of the paddle--not two paddles for each person.

Here is a website that explains clearly.

What's the difference between a canoe and a kayak? - Yahoo! UK & Ireland Answers
Thanks again.

I read the best answer, but the language barrier made me unable to understand the difference. I believe it explains clearly, because you said so.
BUT it is not simple, isn't it?

I will read it repeatedly until it becomes clear.

Last edited by Supperman : 07-12-2011 at 06:19 AM.
(#25 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-12-2011, 09:50 AM

To sum it up,
"Kayak paddlers are using a double blade paddle, while canoes are paddled with a single blade paddle."
//////////////////////////////

The difference is how many blades does a paddle of the boat has.
If you see a single blade paddle, you can call it a canoe,
and if you see a double blade paddle, you can call it a kayak without hesitation.

///////////////////////////
A riddle
Question;
If you see a hexaploid blade paddle, what do you call the boat?
Answer;
It's a motor boat. And the hexaploid blade paddle is called "a propeller".

Last edited by Supperman : 07-12-2011 at 10:00 AM.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-12-2011, 02:26 PM

YouTube - ‪Kayaking Skills Basic Strokes Video‬‏

youtube tuition of paddling a kayak. I wonder if there is one in Japanese language.

YouTube - ‪Canoe Paddling - Canadian Style‬‏ canoeing.

YouTube - ‪CANOEING IN LAKE SHIKOTSUKO (KOSEI HOKKAIDO 2010.7.3 CAMPING )‬‏ japanese canoeing. You may need to move along the video but its pleasant.

I see that canoes and kayaks can also be used for sailing. One learns something every day.

Last edited by dogsbody70 : 07-12-2011 at 02:46 PM.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
YouTube - ‪Kayaking Skills Basic Strokes Video‬‏

youtube tuition of paddling a kayak. I wonder if there is one in Japanese language.

YouTube - ‪Canoe Paddling - Canadian Style‬‏ canoeing.

YouTube - ‪CANOEING IN LAKE SHIKOTSUKO (KOSEI HOKKAIDO 2010.7.3 CAMPING )‬‏ japanese canoeing. You may need to move along the video but its pleasant.

I see that canoes and kayaks can also be used for sailing. One learns something every day.
Looking those videos, I just want to paddle a kayak during this summer vacation, though I've never done it.
It looks like enjoyable.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-13-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Hi.
Can you imagine the photo with my description?
Here we go!

This is a photo of a park scene on a sunny winter's day. The photographer is standing on a riverside path, and aiming the path’s line at the center of the picture. The path is a little winding, and curves toward the left. [b]The winding path leads towards a bridge that spans the riverThere is a river at the right side of the photo. The water is blue and calm. There are water birds on the river.[color="Blue"] I see a man and woman in casual wear, idly strolling alongside the river, in a park. Their small child seems to be ahead of them as we can see a blue cladded leg sticking out--but the rest is hidden by the woman's body. Maybe the family are thinking of feeding the ducks and geese that waddle ahead of them on the winding path as well as the other waterbirds swimming in the water. There are a few small trees on their left, their branches bereft of leaves, amidst flowers and grass. There are two unlit lamps above their heads. It is a very peaceful and tranquil scene.

At the center of the picture, there are three people who are standing on the path, and walking off the camera. One of them is a man who wears blue jeans and black jacket. He has short blond hair. At the left side of him, there is a woman in black jacket and blue jeans. She has pony-tailed golden hair.

The third person may be a child, though we can scarcely see only his/her left leg. Other parts of the body are hidden by the woman. They may be a family.
There are two water birds walking on the path too. They seem not to be afraid of humans.
The path is paved and flat.

There are electric lamp poles along the path. At (ON) the left side of the path, there are greens and trees (There is greenery. GRASS< FLOWERS and NAKED trees). Almost all of the trees have no leaves. (HAVE LOST their leaves.) Considering THE naked trees and what people wear, it is winter season for sure.Maybe: the trees are bare.
Afar (AHEAD OF THEM) from them, there is a bridge made of concrete, which is located horizontally in this photo. WE SEE A CONCRETE BRIDGE that spans the river.We can see the sky at the upper right corner of the photo. There is no cloud (THERE ARE NO CLOUDS in the sky. The shadow of the people is projected to the right side. So the sun is shining from the left side of the photo. It is a sunny winter day.

The park / TOEIC
sorry if this is rather a mess-- I hope you get the gist. I think you do not need to mention the photographer or camera. Look at it from your OWN POINT of view.
(#29 (permalink))
Old
dogsbody70 (Offline)

07-13-2011, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Looking AT those videos, I just want to paddle a kayak during this summer vacation, though I've never done it.
It looks like VERY enjoyable.
HI SUPPERMAN-- Yes indeed, I fancy paddling my own canoe -- but knowing ME I could never get in or out of the canoes.

It must be great fun though. Why not give it a whirl- Or TRY as we would say.
(#30 (permalink))
Old
Supperman (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-13-2011, 10:39 AM

Quote:
sorry if this is rather a mess-- I hope you get the gist. I think you do not need to mention the photographer or camera. Look at it from your OWN POINT of view.
Thank you very much for your corrections, and your sentences.