JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Avary_Ninja (Offline)
Semi-competent Ninja

History ~ December 1941 : Hong Kong Falls To Japan - 12-12-2006, 08:28 AM

Right on the heels of the Surprise attack at Pearl Harbor which left the US Pacific Fleet crippled, the Japanese swooped down on South East Asia conquering all in their path.

Canada sent two infantry battalions to Hong Kong for garrisson duties, hoping to deter the Japanese from taking offensive measures against the British empire in the Far East.

The deterrent failed and the Winnipeg Grenadiers from Winnipeg, and the Royal Rifles of Canada from Quebec City had to fight in a desperate struggle against overwhelming odds.

This is the Fall of Hong Kong, December 1941, as viewed from Canadian eyes.

300 Canadians died in the defence of Hong Kong. For the survivors, 4 years of captivity would follow, with daily brutality, torture, starvation, and executions.

"Men, I do not order you to fight; I order you to die". ~ Mustapha Kemal at the Battle of Gallipoli
(#2 (permalink))
Old
maitrekong (Offline)
New to JF

02-19-2007, 05:31 PM

it's so terrible :s but i think it's very important to give these informations even if it's after events thanks

maitre kong
http://kingkongdesiles.skyblog.com
correct me
(#3 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

again sorta not - 07-21-2010, 07:49 PM

fyi 'crippled' US Pacific fleet aftermath of the Dec.7 1941 attack was not 'crippled'. The deepest depth of Pearl Harbor is roughly 39ft. sinking a ship at this depth and remember battleship row is within a stones throw of Ford Island meant with the exception of the Arizona and some minor support vessels. Meant sunk ships and more importantly it's crew members would either be recovered and survive to fight another day. On top of this the japanese attack left intact the dry dock shipyard that serviced the fleet? Again the fuel tank yard located across from battle ship row that provided the Pacific Fleet with it's fuel was untouched also?
The US Pacific Fleet and all navys after 1941' built and operated around aircraft carriers not battleships. None of the US aircraft carriers where in Pearl Harbor during the attack.
Translation japanese attack on Pearl Harbor illustrates poor intelligence and the lost of a strategic opportunity to engage the Pacific Fleet at a later date in deeper waters on the open sea. That would happen 6 months l8tr at Midway.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
manganimefan227 (Offline)
星の翼

07-21-2010, 08:03 PM

OK, Gotta PRAY there is no World War 3

My Life Sucks- The kids I babysit have drooled, ripped or drawn on all of the cards and put the cars with the little people in the microwave!

I have no Friends- The cats have scratched and destroyed all of the DVDs!

I always owe someone- In fact I put two os in it!

I always ruin my clothes with Bleach!- The show is so dom suspensful I spill my grape soda on them!

But . . .I'll live.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
willgoestocollege (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-21-2010, 09:20 PM

Hong Kong is an amazing city and in my opinion the best city in the world.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Unknown (Offline)
The Darkness

07-21-2010, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffy0000 View Post
fyi 'crippled' US Pacific fleet aftermath of the Dec.7 1941 attack was not 'crippled'. The deepest depth of Pearl Harbor is roughly 39ft. sinking a ship at this depth and remember battleship row is within a stones throw of Ford Island meant with the exception of the Arizona and some minor support vessels. Meant sunk ships and more importantly it's crew members would either be recovered and survive to fight another day. On top of this the japanese attack left intact the dry dock shipyard that serviced the fleet? Again the fuel tank yard located across from battle ship row that provided the Pacific Fleet with it's fuel was untouched also?
The US Pacific Fleet and all navys after 1941' built and operated around aircraft carriers not battleships. None of the US aircraft carriers where in Pearl Harbor during the attack.
Translation japanese attack on Pearl Harbor illustrates poor intelligence and the lost of a strategic opportunity to engage the Pacific Fleet at a later date in deeper waters on the open sea. That would happen 6 months l8tr at Midway.
It would have been crippled if the "real" attack occured.Originally Pearl Harbor was planned by Hitler but since he is known not to keep his word only Japan was present that day

Feel My Intent
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Unknown (Offline)
The Darkness

07-21-2010, 10:49 PM

Quote:
It would have been crippled if the "real" attack occured.Originally Pearl Harbor was planned by Hitler but since he is known not to keep his word only Japan was present that day.Otherwise casaulties would have been higher since Germany would have came in the form of LuffeWaffe with their pilots having the most experience since majority of them served in WW1(this is why their overall kill rates were so high with some exceeding 300 especially in a dogfight)

Feel My Intent

Last edited by Unknown : 07-21-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Sorry about the double post since its not letting me delete
(#8 (permalink))
Old
fluffy0000 (Offline)
FJ to JF

sorta not - 07-21-2010, 11:01 PM

dude, Germany and the United States on Dec 7 1941 were not at war? Germany declared war on the United States after Pearl Harbor on the Dec 11 1941.
go back and do your math.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
Unknown (Offline)
The Darkness

07-21-2010, 11:25 PM

Quote:
dude, Germany and the United States on Dec 7 1941 were not at war? Germany declared war on the United States after Pearl Harbor on the Dec 11 1941.
go back and do your math.
I know they were not at war I'am just saying most people think Japan was behind Pearl Harbor when its really Hitler.He lead them to believe that both his LuffeWaffe and their Kamikaze Pilots would attack on the same day but as a result did not keep his word like always.This was done mainly because all three Axis powers were steadily building up their war machines prior to WW2 and by doing the above his would be the largest since the Allies would look at them(Japan) and not him

Feel My Intent
(#10 (permalink))
Old
GoNative (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-22-2010, 12:48 AM

Can you show any links to any research showing that Hitler was involved in the planning of the attack on Pearl Harbour? I always thought the master paln was created by Yamamoto.