JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-05-2008, 05:09 PM

Those are all very good points. But the point I was making is that it's not impossible to have two or three times our current population. Humans always find ways to survive, and if arable (new word for me, thanks ) land runs out, there will be other ways to make better use of that land, or even advances in GM foods.

Idealy, the worlds population shouldn't increase anymore because the increase comes from the poorer countries, which in turn wastes lives as there IS a lack in food, water land etc. With that said, if there is a solution to this, then an increase in population wouldn't be such a problem.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

07-05-2008, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
why are you showing me the earth at night? That doesn't really concern this topic. You ought to be showing this image instead...

the red is where it is densly populated. I think it's obvious that there is a lot of room left
Wow, England is pretty densely populated
I guess that is in relation to it being a smaller country though.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#43 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-06-2008, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenchu View Post
Noodle, that map is pretty crappy.

Just get a road map of Europe and you will come to realize the distance between towns is very small. I dont think there is much room. But I guess the point between our views comes down to I understand man contributes to global warming, where as you tend to be slightly deluded.

Space is not as much the issue as enviroment is. But I think it goes without saying there is a shortage of good farming land. I have been in many planes, and I can tell you over the major flight routes, at least, there are few precious square inches of this land that are not in paddocks yet. The whole planet that I have seen from the air looks like a patch work quilt.
Okay, the map is pretty crappy

I don't think you get what I meant. Let's take europe for example. It's densly populated and build up. What's stopping us from doing the same thing in say, Africa! You don't need arable land to live in the desert, look at the likes of Saudi Arabia, Qatar etc. The problem, is more what Odin was talking about. It's the arable land. But even then, like they say, if there is a will, there is a way. Maybe I shouldn't have said the word "easily", but it is definately possible.

Are you serious? I don't think you've been on as many planes as you claim you have. What you said is only true when landing or departing. But, as soon as you get pretty high, you will see much much more greenary. (hint, go check out google earth)
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Ambro (Offline)
New to JF

Send a message via MSN to Ambro
07-06-2008, 07:42 PM

I dont get people who suggest we should drill oil and drilling it at even more places. The focus should be on finding alternative fuels. Since we are so many humans that we are, we are using way to much of the worlds resources food water forests etc.
Another issue with the overpopulation is that we humans are causing the global heating. Each human contributes in some minor or major way, in fact if something isnt done within soon. The human race will have triggered a new ice age.

How Global Warming May Cause the Next Ice Age...

What we do in life echoes in eternity.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Odin (Offline)
Lord of the Æsir

Send a message via ICQ to Odin Send a message via AIM to Odin Send a message via MSN to Odin Send a message via Yahoo to Odin Send a message via Skype™ to Odin
07-07-2008, 06:23 AM

Quote:
You do understand 'progressive' is a new word for hippie. LOL, that site is GAF.

Anyway, an ice age is due, and it is not a bad thing, as long as it is a stable one. The fear is we will assist in creating an unstable one. Or another fear is the complete opposite of this... desertification, so on.

You know, there was once this ice age that engulfed the whole planet, and created a snowball earth. We would not exist today if it was not for one angry fuckin volcano releaseing carbon dioxide and fire into the air!

Yeah, I agree, that article was highly speculative. He mixed in enough good science, to make the rest sound reasonable. It makes for an interesting book, but is far from being a fair scientific analysis. It is not total BS, but it still has that odor!

As far as the "Snowball Earth" theory is concerned there are more questions than answers. There is little doubt that the Cyogenian period was one of the coldest in history. However there is quite a bit of evidence to suggest that is was not a total freeze. This evedence is in the form of sediment deposits that only form from rapidly moving water and seasonal ice melting events. More reasonable studies point that oceanic freezing at the most extended to 25°. It is believed however that even at the equator there was extensive glacial activity in the inland of the supercontinent of Rodinia.

It should be noted that the rapid erosion of Rodina, the same event that help trap carbon-dioxide and bring about the ice age, also released massive amounts of minerals and nutrients into the ocean. Those nutrients were the source of the massive explosion in the amount of life after the ice receded. So the ice was as necessary as the fire that ended it.

Also it should be noted that the volcanic activity only accelerated the end of the ice age. Eventually Rodina would break apart, and the ocean currents would have stopped the continental cooling effect.

OK enough with theories of the ancient past. lets talk about our current problems.

The Honored of Valhöll are: Acidreptile: my spiritual brother, smilexfreak7: milaya moya sestra Tsuzuki: my dark goddess,
=Kanji: the eternal wanderer, Zenit: future world conquer, Michieru: self proclaimed mastermind of genius
and the rest of my family in the
~+VaMpiRe ClAn+~

(#46 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-07-2008, 12:51 PM

Well,

Eventually this rapid population growth and the following use of resources will cause some sort of breakdown, and backlash at us (or them). Whether it be some sort of disease, starvation, climate change...

I think it will come eventually, because really, I don't think the world's countries can work together well enough to find a real solution and perform it in time.

However I find it funny to read (to the gackt dude: change your font/color dude, impossible to read) about people hating "libs" and "hippies" because they for example don't want companies to drill for oil beneath e.g. glaciers, to "save some fish". I can understand these environment fanatics often come across as total douches, but that is not reason enough to hate the information.

Firstly, it aint to "save some fish".

Secondly, really, does anyone think that a good, long-term solution to the world's problems is to find more oil? really? Or do you just want a quick fix?

Just my 2.

なんでやねん!
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-07-2008, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I was not diggin at tree huggers. More so the opposite. Democracy has forced the change of many word uses. First they were 'hippies', then 'alternative' and now we must say 'progressive'. It is more liberal people that forced this change (that is right wing, in Australia), and they were who I was digging at more. Political correctness is fucked.

Other politically coreect words are; horizontily challenged (fat people), vertically challenged (scrawny people), mentally challenged (retards)... so on.

Anyway, I dont think people on that site are on the right track...
Oh, actually I don't think my reply was aimed at you. I agree with the essence of what you say. PC is fucked, indeed. I also really, really would wish that "holier-than-thou" douche so called tree-huggers would shut up and make way for the real, great minds that actually can DO something.

But, as someone else said, it should be obvious that running around the globe searching for more oil aint a real solution to anything (but a quick buck).

なんでやねん!
(#48 (permalink))
Old
Odin (Offline)
Lord of the Æsir

Send a message via ICQ to Odin Send a message via AIM to Odin Send a message via MSN to Odin Send a message via Yahoo to Odin Send a message via Skype™ to Odin
07-07-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Rodina, what is that? Idn't that a Russian political party? Do you mean Pangea?

Anyway, whether the earth was entirly frozen I am not sure if that is fact or theory, but it goes without saying that there were massive assed pieces of ice everywhere there. That is backed by in that there are massive assed stones that can only be explained by if they were frozen in ice, the ice moved, and they dropped off the ice as it melted in random assed spots. These were found in the then was equator.
Hehe, well yeah there is a Russian political party by that name. Sorry for the slight misspelling of the word.

But, NO, I meant the super-continent of Rodinia. It formed ~1.1 billion years ago, and it predated the continent of of Pangaea by over 800 million. It was the 3rd of the eight so called super-continents believed to have existed in Earth's history. This is the landmass that is involved with the "Snowball Earth" theory.

Yes it is beleived that massive glaciers existed at the equator, on the interior highlands of Rodinia.

Quote:
I believe you can only understand the currect if you pay attention to both the past and future in unison as best you can. Actions have ripples. We're all fucked.
Yes, such is my belief, and why I choose to address this subject. However other than the massive CO2 sink event of that ice age, I can see little corilation with the "Global Food Crisis" and population topic that you used to start this thread.

The Honored of Valhöll are: Acidreptile: my spiritual brother, smilexfreak7: milaya moya sestra Tsuzuki: my dark goddess,
=Kanji: the eternal wanderer, Zenit: future world conquer, Michieru: self proclaimed mastermind of genius
and the rest of my family in the
~+VaMpiRe ClAn+~

(#49 (permalink))
Old
Henbaka (Offline)
Dark Passenger

07-07-2008, 01:33 PM

Quote:
I am a big target. It is not uncommon to miss when I am around...
So it is common to miss?

Quote:
Well, business is just that, after all....
Indeed. Therefore making other sources of energy lucrative would really be the only answer (which many are trying to do).

なんでやねん!
(#50 (permalink))
Old
ShintoCanadianmale (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-07-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allie2590 View Post
But they can have a second child if their first child is a girl. However, many of them cannot afford a second child and no one wants girls, so they send them off to orphanages. With a population as large as China's, you can probably imagine how many babies need to be adopted. Some relatives of mine adopted 2 girls from China.

minorities like the tibetans are excluded from the one child policy which only apply to the han chinese

crunchyroll.com