LinkBack Thread Tools
(#31 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

07-22-2008, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Fate of tibe??? I think you should read through the Tibet thread we had. It's simply a media exaguration. Tibetans are experiencing a much better life then they've ever had or could ever have with the Dalai Lama controlling it at 100%. Hence why he doesn't want Tibet to be an independent Country.
That Tibetans enjoy a better life under Chinese rule is arguable. The fact is that the Chinese restrict the indigenous Tibetans from practicing their own culture and religion. And I've never heard the Dalai Lama not wanting Tibet to become independent. I'm pretty sure the Free Tibet movement has his blessing.

Also independence doesn't mean the Dalai Lama controlling it 100%. In fact I've always envisioned him as a symbolic, national figurehead rather than an actual puller of strings. Sort of like the Queen of England.
(#32 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
That Tibetans enjoy a better life under Chinese rule is arguable. The fact is that the Chinese restrict the indigenous Tibetans from practicing their own culture and religion. And I've never heard the Dalai Lama not wanting Tibet to become independent. I'm pretty sure the Free Tibet movement has his blessing.

Also independence doesn't mean the Dalai Lama controlling it 100%. In fact I've always envisioned him as a symbolic, national figurehead rather than an actual puller of strings. Sort of like the Queen of England.
In fact, the Dalai lama wants Tibet to stay under the rule of China. He doesn't want it to become an independent country. He simply wants it to be Autonomus (sp?). Tibet is already an autonomus region, but all the Dalai Lama wants, is for it to be MORE autonomus. A simple proof that it's autonomus is the fact that the Single child per family thing doesn't apply to tibetans/tibet (not sure which one).

As for restricting the freedom of religion etc... I think you'll find that isn't actually true. All you need to do is compare 50 odd years ago (when it had it's own rule), and compare it to now. Simply check some history that hasn't been written by extremist "Free tibet" groups, and you'll see some shocking things, and shocking lies by the media.

Last edited by noodle : 07-22-2008 at 12:55 PM.
(#33 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2008, 01:00 PM

If the Tibetans were so happy, why were they recently rioting and being murdered by chinese police? (I agree with you on some of the stuff by free tibet groups, but..)

The displacment of the dam is huge compared to anything a western nation has done to displace it's people.

No western society has restricted parenting rights of such a huge group of it's people in such a way.

America is already embroiled in a debate as to whether or not to physically protect small states from Chinas saber rattling and possible invasion.

You can say it's not that bad and that western countries have done comparable things. But not all that comparable.
(#34 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2008, 01:03 PM

China is no worse than the United States Of America.You are all only too confortable with the illusion of "Democracy".
(#35 (permalink))
Old
Alvinho (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Alvinho
07-22-2008, 01:11 PM

Once I watched a video on Youtube that CIA has been behind the attempt to disrupt China´s reputation due to Tibet issue...that's why Dalai Lama was "created" by CIA.....in fact, Tibet has attempted to become a nation run by a religious group like it's happened in Butan and Nepal....but China government has avoided it even with tougher measures....

In a communist country, there's one president who grabs all life's benefits, dozens of burocrats who drain tax payers' money and 8 million go through harsh starvation.
(#36 (permalink))
Old
Paul11 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acidreptile View Post
China is no worse than the United States Of America.You are all only too confortable with the illusion of "Democracy".
You really believe that crap. you have no sense of history and how the founding of the United States brought something unique and (mostly, Lock and others preceded, but not as a nation) new to mankind.

And Alvinho, bad stuff happens everywhere, but try not to buy into the liberal, commie conspiracy stuff.

Take off your Che Guevera t-shirts people and recognize the difference between right and wrong.
(#37 (permalink))
Old
Acidreptile (Offline)
JF Old Timer

07-22-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
You really believe that crap. you have no sense of history and how the founding of the United States brought something unique and (mostly, Lock and others preceded, but not as a nation) new to mankind.

And Alvinho, bad stuff happens everywhere, but try not to buy into the liberal, commie conspiracy stuff.

Take off your Che Guevera t-shirts people and recognize the difference between right and wrong.
I don't have any Che Guevara T-Shirt but I am sure not a democratic conformist.Conformism causes corrosion.

I look at China and I see a always developing country.I look at USA and I see a country falling.But USA ego is bigger than anything so they don't realize that.
(#38 (permalink))
Old
Alvinho (Offline)
JF Regular

Send a message via MSN to Alvinho
07-22-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:

You're calling me commie???...are you nuts???...have I offended your mum?......I'm just telling you what I saw on a video....I'm rightist, liberal....I do hate the president who rules my country.....commies in power are vultures beaking themselves to eat rotten meat....

In a communist country, there's one president who grabs all life's benefits, dozens of burocrats who drain tax payers' money and 8 million go through harsh starvation.
(#39 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

07-22-2008, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
In fact, the Dalai lama wants Tibet to stay under the rule of China. He doesn't want it to become an independent country. He simply wants it to be Autonomus (sp?). Tibet is already an autonomus region, but all the Dalai Lama wants, is for it to be MORE autonomus. A simple proof that it's autonomus is the fact that the Single child per family thing doesn't apply to tibetans/tibet (not sure which one).

As for restricting the freedom of religion etc... I think you'll find that isn't actually true. All you need to do is compare 50 odd years ago (when it had it's own rule), and compare it to now. Simply check some history that hasn't been written by extremist "Free tibet" groups, and you'll see some shocking things, and shocking lies by the media.
If the media are telling "shocking lies" then I don't see the motive (I agree that media often exaggerate the truth for the sake of a good story but flat out lie?). I can see the motive when it comes to the Chinese authorities lying though therefore am a bit more willing to trust the media over the Chinese authorities.

Anyway I haven't really delved deep into this issue. Most of what I know of the issue is restricted to what I see and hear in the news, I've not learnt the history in which to put it in context.

At the end of the day though, I believe in a nation's right to self-determination (as does the UN) and that is what the main issue here is. China is denying Tibet that right. To what degree is perhaps what I need to become clued up on.
(#40 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

07-22-2008, 01:27 PM

Quote:

Don't worry about AcidReptile. He's a troll with no bite to his bark. All he can do is spout rhetoric.

I will say that all nations have in some way brought something unique to mankind. If we're going to thank anyone for Western civilisation we should thank everyone from the Greeks to the Romans to the British as well as the Americans.

Not to mention the pearls of wisdom that come from other cultures.