LinkBack Thread Tools
(#41 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

07-22-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Don't worry about AcidReptile. He's a troll with no bite to his bark. All he can do is spout rhetoric.
Um not really, he has a point and dismissing it out of hand just shows disrespect.
Yes America has benefitted the world in some ways but most of those benefits are geared for the countries own survival.
If anyone disagrees, they either are ignorant of the facts or are hypocrites who want to further their own agenda at the cost of everything else.

The recent media frenzy about China can only be seen as propaganda. This sparks up interest in the public which in turn fuels our oh so "democratic" system.
It is no susprise to people who KNOW shit, that key American figures for decades have been shitting bricks because of China and her potential.
Africa had such potential too but its amazing "coincidental" stroke of one bad luck scenario after another, has caused it to be nothing more than an arid wasteland when compared with the rest of the world.
China can definitely become a new stable superpower, since her ideas and principles are unified within the country. Whether people like how they live in China or not is irrelevant, since it is human weakness that wants us to have what we don't have.
If the balance between power and the treatment of people remains, China will have no problem in achieving whatever she wants.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers

Last edited by ivi0nk3y : 07-22-2008 at 02:25 PM.
(#42 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-22-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul11 View Post
If the Tibetans were so happy, why were they recently rioting and being murdered by chinese police? (I agree with you on some of the stuff by free tibet groups, but..)

The displacment of the dam is huge compared to anything a western nation has done to displace it's people.

No western society has restricted parenting rights of such a huge group of it's people in such a way.

America is already embroiled in a debate as to whether or not to physically protect small states from Chinas saber rattling and possible invasion.

You can say it's not that bad and that western countries have done comparable things. But not all that comparable.
Have you ever spoken to a tibetan? I've only every met and spoken to 2 Tibetans. Their only problem with China was the Dalai lama being in India and not in Lhasa. They were extremely greatful to the chinese government. You seem to think, like the western media has portrayed, that the Chinese authority just randomly attacked the tibetans and/or vice versa... That's just bull crap, to say the least. Western media has many times shown Nepalese (??) police beating tibetans and then has labeled them as Chinese. This has actually been proven. Channels like CNN, BBC etc broadcasted these images and labelled them as "chinese army".
Therefore, if you look closely, you'll realise that the riots were a bunch of hooligans which started trouble and consequently, it spread like bush fire.

Hmmm, I guess you've chosen to ignore the fact that the government is helping them re-locate. You make it sound as though the government just decided to chuck them out. Sounds to me like the kinda thing that happened to the american indians, but pushed onto the chinese

Dude, like I said; that was greatly influenced by the west, AND if you have a better solution, give it to them. lol. What would you rather have; a ristriction on your children so that the government can help it's people get a better life OR have the situation in africa. Each couple has about 14 children so that only 1 or two survive

I don't know what you're talking about in that part... sorry.

Why is it not comparable? Because many countries are developed now? I don't get it. If a country produced lots of CO2 whilst developing, do you have the right to restrict another country from producing lots of CO2 TO develop simply because people believe in Man made global warming? I think not. The situation is exactly this; Western countries did something, but because now we're more "knowledgable", the poorer countries have to find better options... hmmm, I say; mind your own business (not personally you btw)
(#43 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-22-2008, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
If the media are telling "shocking lies" then I don't see the motive (I agree that media often exaggerate the truth for the sake of a good story but flat out lie?). I can see the motive when it comes to the Chinese authorities lying though therefore am a bit more willing to trust the media over the Chinese authorities.

Anyway I haven't really delved deep into this issue. Most of what I know of the issue is restricted to what I see and hear in the news, I've not learnt the history in which to put it in context.

At the end of the day though, I believe in a nation's right to self-determination (as does the UN) and that is what the main issue here is. China is denying Tibet that right. To what degree is perhaps what I need to become clued up on.
Here is a site We Just Want the Truth! CNN:The world's leader of liars 西方媒体污蔑中国报道全纪录Anti-CNN.com,Anti-BBC.com,Anti-VOA.com ... Don't take everything on there as fact, because it is also VERY bias and I'm sure there're a lot of lies on there. But it does shed some truth on the lies of the west. One of which, I mentioned in my above post. CNN, BBC putting pictures of the Nepal police beating tibetan monks and labelling it as Chinese authority.

Another disturbing example; at the height of all those protests and the Tibet issue was page one news, BBC showed a clip of some tibetan monks protesting for free tibet at a temple. The news reporter said that it's evident that tibetans want freedom etc. Later on, I watched the exact same pictures on a Tibetan channel, but the images were longer. There was an interview afterwards of the Lama's (head monks). They outright denounced what the "young" monks did, and said they were extremely foolish. They said that those monks don't have a clue and that it isn't the general feeling amongst tibetans. Some may call that exaguration, but to me, that's pure lying. Showing half a video and proclaiming that ALL tibetans want a free tibet when in fact, the older monks think that those little monks are idiots.

EDIT; I don't know if you can read the english on what that french guy said, but he's probably summed up the situation in that interview... Hypocracy

Last edited by noodle : 07-22-2008 at 06:31 PM.
(#44 (permalink))
Old
Jaydelart (Offline)
ジェイデラート

07-22-2008, 08:37 PM

I really can't say I have a solid opinion on the matter.

Generally, people are hard to predict. China becoming another Superpower may turn out to be either bad or good... or both; only time can tell for sure.

And, I'm not just saying this to take a neutral stance on things: it's the truth: life is full of surprises.
(#45 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
07-22-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaydelart View Post
China becoming another Superpower may turn out to be either bad or good... or both; only time can tell for sure.
China has been a superpower for quite a while though it's only now that it's being regarded as a thread and people are starting to believe it might eventually hit the world's economy.

Personally, I'm not too comfortable with the idea of China having so much power.

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#46 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-22-2008, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suki View Post
China has been a superpower for quite a while though it's only now that it's being regarded as a thread and people are starting to believe it might eventually hit the world's economy.

Personally, I'm not too comfortable with the idea of China having so much power.
Care to explain why?

And yeah, you're right... Like I said in my first post, I guess it depends what's your definition of a superpower. For me, they have been for a while.
(#47 (permalink))
Old
Suki (Offline)
armed with a mind

Send a message via MSN to Suki
07-22-2008, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Care to explain why?
I'm not sure =/

It's probably because I'm not very familiar with the whole Chinese culture and people tend to fear what they don't know. Also cause they (as in Far-Eastern countries) have different ways of doing things and adapting to their nature of ruling the market might be... unfavorable for all those countries the economy of which is directly affected by what happens to the United States, so for now, I don't like the idea of the US having any competitors, even though I'm almost certain China has been taking the lead in producing most of what's later consumed by Western countries...

everything is relative and contradictory ~
(#48 (permalink))
Old
noodle (Offline)
Wo zhi dao ni ai wo

07-22-2008, 09:39 PM

I see. To be honest with you, I don't think there would be much change for the average person if China were to become the number one superpower. They are already so westernised in business etc, that I don't think it'll change much for people like me and you. However, if they were the number one, they would be the ones that have the loudest voice concerning international affairs, such as Wars. To do with this, I think China would be better for the world. They're not violent people. In fact, they were against the Iraq war etc. But of course, they're not exactly perfect because they've sold weapons to the poorer countries. US vs China (current governments), I would have prefered Chinese government.
(#49 (permalink))
Old
Hontodayo (Offline)
New to JF

07-22-2008, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noodle View Post
Here is a site We Just Want the Truth! CNN:The world's leader of liars 西方媒体污蔑中国报道全纪录Anti-CNN.com,Anti-BBC.com,Anti-VOA.com ... Don't take everything on there as fact, because it is also VERY bias and I'm sure there're a lot of lies on there. But it does shed some truth on the lies of the west. One of which, I mentioned in my above post. CNN, BBC putting pictures of the Nepal police beating tibetan monks and labelling it as Chinese authority.

EDIT; I don't know if you can read the english on what that french guy said, but he's probably summed up the situation in that interview... Hypocracy
Yeah, I heard about that and in fact, I am really fed up with the media! There is almost no TV channel or newspaper you can really trust nowadays. Most of it is just propaganda. This "half-knowledge" is the most dangerous in my oppinion. I am wether pro nor anti-china but I really can't understand why people are afraid of them getting economically stronger. Yes, the world is changing but why should China be a threat to us? They surely have no intention in war or conquering other countries, they have enough national issues.
I had the opportunity to meet and get to know some Chinese people and I have to say they are really friendly and lovable. Agreed, most of them have no clue about politics but that's just their heritage. It's just a matter of time until democracy will take place in China anyway.
(#50 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

07-22-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hontodayo View Post
Yeah, I heard about that and in fact, I am really fed up with the media! There is almost no TV channel or newspaper you can really trust nowadays. Most of it is just propaganda. This "half-knowledge" is the most dangerous in my oppinion. I am wether pro nor anti-china but I really can't understand why people are afraid of them getting economically stronger. Yes, the world is changing but why should China be a threat to us? They surely have no intention in war or conquering other countries, they have enough national issues.
I had the opportunity to meet and get to know some Chinese people and I have to say they are really friendly and lovable. Agreed, most of them have no clue about politics but that's just their heritage. It's just a matter of time until democracy will take place in China anyway.
National issues never stopped any country from invading another.
The biggest threat people face from China is the difference they could make in their everyday lives. More than likely, instead of sticking with the Western ways of business and such, they would adopt their own standards.
There could be more of a work ethic and more control over people. There would obviously be pros and cons to the whole situation.
It wouldn't really be that different from now though. People would just be more aware of the changes and so could be more averse to them but in reality, that lack of freedom always existed.
Of course this is all just conjecture.. but like people have said, it wouldn't be a total U-turn on how things work now.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers

Last edited by ivi0nk3y : 07-22-2008 at 11:37 PM.