(#312 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

09-15-2009, 05:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksensei View Post
That much is clear...
You'll be quite surprised that some of the most vocal supporters of China are not Chinese by nationality and not Han by ethnicity.

JapanForum's semi-resident amateur linguist.
(#313 (permalink))
Old
tksensei (Offline)
JF Old Timer

09-15-2009, 05:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by komitsuki View Post
You'll be quite surprised that some of the most vocal supporters of China are not Chinese by nationality and not Han by ethnicity.

Why would I be surprised at that?
(#314 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
09-15-2009, 02:52 PM

When your so adamant about dividing the world into two variants it inevitable leads to war, that much as been shown in history.

(#315 (permalink))
Old
Ryzorian (Offline)

09-16-2009, 04:22 AM

Histroy repeats itself repeatedly as that notion is continuely re egineered through time.
(#316 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

09-16-2009, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
When your so adamant about dividing the world into two variants it inevitable leads to war, that much as been shown in history.
Wasn't the West that divided the world into three and actually promoted this idea? First, second, and third world. Wasn't Samuel Huntington the famous one who said that cultural clashes are inevitable? The West needs conflicts to survive and to maintain itself and this is not the best way of doing it.

Strangely enough, non-Westerners promotes more inter-cultural respect than the West. Greatest examples: Mohammad Khatami (Iranian president, author of Dialogue Among Civilizations) and Ji Xianlin (actively promoted dialogues between China and the West).

(#317 (permalink))
Old
Sinestra (Offline)
ショ ン

Send a message via AIM to Sinestra Send a message via Yahoo to Sinestra
09-16-2009, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Wasn't the West that divided the world into three and actually promoted this idea? First, second, and third world. Wasn't Samuel Huntington the famous one who said that cultural clashes are inevitable? The West needs conflicts to survive and to maintain itself and this is not the best way of doing it.

Strangely enough, non-Westerners promotes more inter-cultural respect than the West. Greatest examples: Mohammad Khatami (Iranian president, author of Dialogue Among Civilizations) and Ji Xianlin (actively promoted dialogues between China and the West).
Your point being? Cultural clashes have been the route of some of the most brutal clashes (What we dont understand we fear) i truly believe this statement my comment merely stated that a world divided will always be in turmoil because of the fear of the unknown. Our difference is I dont see the west nor the world in this bleak black hole of inevitability. The world has always been divided it has never truly acted as one in the benefit of all. Many countries practiced isolationism for many upon many years including the the US for a time.

To make it short its not just the west whose mindset needs to change. I disagree with your comment "The west needs conflicts to survive and maintain its self" Guess what HUMANITY NEEDS CONFLICTS TO DEFINE ITSELF AND THATS A FACT. You need to get the core root of the problem and its not just an east vs west mindset clash thats just sugar on top. I wont by into a notion that the west is the root of all problem on the planet and i refuse to elevate the east like a porcelain pedestal rising from a river or graciousness and benevolence. Im tired of the damn blame game, im tired of the finger pointing the sooner both sides realize that true and honest dialog can be productive on an international scale not much will change just the same old bitching and whining we hear everyday.

Last edited by Sinestra : 09-16-2009 at 05:11 AM.
(#318 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

09-16-2009, 10:39 AM

Quote:

I completely agree with Sinestra but I just have to add...

Sam Huntington and his mindset can be said to be of the West that's true... but the harshest criticisms of such mindsets and alternative mindsets actually stem from Western intellectuals and philosophies.

Furthermore, you seem to be obsessed with notions of culture. That's your biggest flaw.

Inter-cultural respect means nothing to me because I don't divide the world into cultural regions. Culture is to an extent simply politics in disguise. It's a manufactured phenomenon for the most part. I see humanity as a whole with intricate and complex overlapping relationships cutting across it. Therefore the only way forward is to establish inter-human respect.
(#319 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

09-16-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronin4hire View Post
Furthermore, you seem to be obsessed with notions of culture. That's your biggest flaw.
There's more than one way to view the whole world, right? Of course, you're a PS/IR major and I'm a linguistics (more akin to anthropology, communication studies) major.

And you haven't notice this before that our beliefs are polar opposite and we can't agree?

Quote:
Inter-cultural respect means nothing to me
Don't worry, I don't believe what you hold the most. We are the polar opposite. And let's keep it that way before both of us wreck our minds.

And please don't reply to me. I'm saying this a lot of times now.

Last edited by komitsuki : 09-16-2009 at 01:56 PM.
(#320 (permalink))
Old
komitsuki (Offline)

09-16-2009, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinestra View Post
Our difference is I dont see the west nor the world in this bleak black hole of inevitability. The world has always been divided it has never truly acted as one in the benefit of all.
These two sentences doesn't make sense to each other.

Quote:
To make it short its not just the west whose mindset needs to change.
But the West is the main leading world of everything. The West definitely and only needs to change.

Quote:
Guess what HUMANITY NEEDS CONFLICTS TO DEFINE ITSELF AND THATS A FACT.
I never expected you to say this. Oh well. Guess some people are conflict-driven and short-sighted.