JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#91 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to Nyororin Send a message via Yahoo to Nyororin
10-08-2008, 12:21 AM

I`m far far too late to this discussion... But I`ll drop my opinion on certain things, as I haven`t spotted them covered in a quick skim through the countless posts in here.

In my mind, angst is more an issue than straight out suicide. It seems, in my experience, that angst is not only accepted - but almost encouraged - in the US. On the other hand, angst is hardly an issue in Japan.
In the US, teenagers are far more likely to whine and talk about being depressed wanting to commit suicide, etc... Even if they really aren`t going to. But in Japan, if someone is going to do it they do it quietly without fanfare. You don`t see kids running around moping and whining at anywhere near the level in the US. Someone who is would be considered "dark" and odd and would make people uncomfortable. This is a stark contrast to the social groups which seem to make "dark" and moping a central point in the US.

If anyone is trying to find me… Tamyuun on Instagram is probably the easiest.
(#92 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

10-08-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyororin View Post
I`m far far too late to this discussion... But I`ll drop my opinion on certain things, as I haven`t spotted them covered in a quick skim through the countless posts in here.

In my mind, angst is more an issue than straight out suicide. It seems, in my experience, that angst is not only accepted - but almost encouraged - in the US. On the other hand, angst is hardly an issue in Japan.
In the US, teenagers are far more likely to whine and talk about being depressed wanting to commit suicide, etc... Even if they really aren`t going to. But in Japan, if someone is going to do it they do it quietly without fanfare. You don`t see kids running around moping and whining at anywhere near the level in the US. Someone who is would be considered "dark" and odd and would make people uncomfortable. This is a stark contrast to the social groups which seem to make "dark" and moping a central point in the US.
Alright so what about how teens are portrayed in some Japanese media. Are rebel teens popular or few and far between? Or are most of them the type to go to school, come home, do pilates etc.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#93 (permalink))
Old
Pyro (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-08-2008, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriko View Post
increased levels of serotonin & decreased levels of norepinephrine.
or a dysfuntion in its reuptake.

brats are twice as worse when they complain about how no one cares about them & then when you try to help them out they'll go "you don't know what it's like to be me! you'll never understand! leave me alone..!"
rofl for real do they really think that it's cool or something? Don't know much about genetics and depression, got to study that up sometime. Chemicals obviously can affect a person's emotions as well.

(#94 (permalink))
Old
Pyro (Offline)
JF Old Timer

10-08-2008, 12:29 AM

Quote:
yeah. people who are emo over shallow things. *slap slap*

their species somehow still manage to survive in the college environment. just a heads up.
-.-' what the hell, nuuuuuuuz. Tought people might get a little more mature in college. O well. lol

(#95 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

10-08-2008, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivi0nk3y View Post
Alright so what about how teens are portrayed in some Japanese media. Are rebel teens popular or few and far between? Or are most of them the type to go to school, come home, do pilates etc.
Rebel teens are interesting in media because they aren`t the norm. They aren`t a main slice of the population. They`re popular in media because they show what some kids wish they had the courage to do - not because they`d really do so. Just like it`s fun to watch crazed action, but it isn`t really what you`d ever choose to do in your own life.
Most really are the type who go to school, go to club, come home, study, sleep, then repeat.

(#96 (permalink))
Old
Uriko (Offline)
JF Cereal Killer

10-08-2008, 12:46 AM

Quote:

what if the occurence of angst in Japan & the US are the same, just expressed differently?

But to despair was to wish back for something already lost.
Or to prolong what was already unbearable.

(#97 (permalink))
Old
Nyororin (Offline)
Mod Extraordinaire

10-08-2008, 12:55 AM

Quote:
what if the occurence of angst in Japan & the US are the same, just expressed differently?
The occurrence isn`t the issue. It`s the glamorization of it, to an extent. In Japan, it`s considered normal for parents and kids to not always agree... But in the US, it seems like it`s considered normal for teenagers to be downright crazy and to be beyond any sort of comprehension by adults. Japan doesn`t share that view.

(#98 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

10-08-2008, 12:59 AM

Families are different in Japan. Japanese kids, in my experience, don't "hate" their parents, run away from home or believe everyone is out to get them at nearly the same rates as I saw working in an American high school.
(#99 (permalink))
Old
Uriko (Offline)
JF Cereal Killer

10-08-2008, 01:03 AM

Quote:
The occurrence isn`t the issue. It`s the glamorization of it, to an extent. In Japan, it`s considered normal for parents and kids to not always agree... But in the US, it seems like it`s considered normal for teenagers to be downright crazy and to be beyond any sort of comprehension by adults. Japan doesn`t share that view.
in regards to your previous post, it just seemed that you were implying that angst was more common in the US because kids whine & say they commit suicide, whilst in Japan it's less common because kids don't express it the same way. all i'm saying is that there could be tons of kids in Japan who are angsty & they express is differently.

maybe they don't commit suicide & whine. maybe they just drop out of school or can't hold a job.

as for the glamorization of it, then yeah. kids are very outspoken because America is a "free country" & we all have "rights" & kids are raised with that mentality & they twist it to their spoiled rotten bidding.

But to despair was to wish back for something already lost.
Or to prolong what was already unbearable.