LinkBack Thread Tools
(#21 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miMix View Post
At least the Japanese use every part of the whale, other countries will be wasteful of some parts of the animals they kill. It is of Japanese tradition to greatly respect nature, animals and the like. Also, I often hear how people accuse the Japanese of killing dolphins and eating them, but other countries are the ones who can't even tell the difference between tuna and dolphin when dolphin is packed into tuna fish cans.
What do you mean the Japanese greatly respect nature? The former Japanese foreign minister said himself that their is NO interest in Japan in whaling and many Japanese don't eat it but for a small but powerful conservative lobby group who insist on it.
(#22 (permalink))
Old
TheUnknown (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-07-2008, 09:24 AM

Agreed With Some And Disagreed With Some.. The Whole 'Intelligent' Idea is Just Out The Window. I Believe That It Can Either Be Above Or Below Human Intelligent, Once We Classified It In Levels or Ranks Then It Totally Confused The Hack Out of Us. After All, Those Animals Should Have a Certain Level of Intelligent Right? They Know How To Eat, How To Feed Themselves, How To Survive. Like Us Humans, Perhaps They Lack The Creative Side of Us.. I Don't Know. But What I Do Know Is That Killing An Innocent Animal Not For The Sole Purpose of Survival: To Keep Yourself As a Human Being Alive, Is Just Simply Wrong! The Process of Killing Is Needless And Is a Waste.

人生自古誰無死,留取丹心照汗青。-- None since the advent of time have escaped death, may my loyalty forever illuminate the annals of history.

(#23 (permalink))
Old
StangGuy (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-07-2008, 11:20 AM

There was one time while I was in Japan when the topic of whale hunting came up. It was brought up by a pair of Australian tourists. The thought of hunting whales horrified them. Another person mentioned that he had eaten kangaroo while in Australia. The two Australians said yes you can eat Kangaroo and they weren't against, this suprised the Japanese woman that was there. Both here and I asked "If you can eat Kangaroo, a wild animal that is hunted, why can't you eat whale, another wild animal that is hunted?" Their answer was "It's just different."

That is the fundamental argument for most ant-whaling people. Most aren't vegan or vegetarian but for some reason whales are sacred and shouldn't be killed. In the US this extends to all marine mammals. There is an overpopulation problem of California sea lions along the Oregon and Southern Washington. However, it is extremely difficult to do anything about because in the US all marine mammals are considered endangered by statute and can only be moved or culled with a court order.

The US has had its own problems with whaling. Within the last few years the Makah tribe of Northwest Washington has resumed hunting of the Pacific Gray Whale, which like the Southern Minke Whale is not an endangered or threatened species. However, there have been several court challenges to the hunt even though it is allowed under the International Whaling Commisions ban on commercial whaling and guaranteed by treaty between the Makah and US government.

Personally, I have no problem with the hunting of any animal provided you do it at a sustainable level. And the Japanese are certainly doing that. For the last 20 years they have killed approximately 900 Minke whales every year. This is out of a population that is currently estimated at 380,000 or 660,000 depending on the methodology. I would actually support an increase in the number killed in order to show that the sustainable kill is higher and comercial whaling of this specied could resume with a reasonable quota. This would be much the same as how other species of animal are managed and this is probably the real goal of the research even though the research they have published doesn't appear to have hinted at this.

くじら は おいしい。

Last edited by StangGuy : 12-07-2008 at 11:30 AM.
(#24 (permalink))
Old
TheUnknown (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-08-2008, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
"If you can eat Kangaroo, a wild animal that is hunted, why can't you eat whale, another wild animal that is hunted?" Their answer was "It's just different."
Hahahaha!! Experienced a few of Those Myself, Gosh. A Rule Should Always Be Kept In Mind Is That You Should Backed-up Your Decisions To Certain Aspects of Life or Events With Reasons, Logical Ones. Not Being Able To Give Logical Reasoning To Your Either Possitive or Negative Response To Certian Questions Is Just Simply Trash Talk. Like Shouting At a Kid That He Is For Some Reason 'Stupid' But When Confronted By The Kid Himself, You Are Speechless And Unable To GIve Valid Reasons As To Why..

人生自古誰無死,留取丹心照汗青。-- None since the advent of time have escaped death, may my loyalty forever illuminate the annals of history.

(#25 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

12-09-2008, 06:14 AM

To the two previous posters... the anti-whaling argument is bigger than the cultural narrow mindedness displayed by some.

I lean more to the side of anti-whalers but not completely...

The anti-whaling argument which I completely support.

-Scientific research can be done without killing whales
-The method used to kill whales is inhumane
-Whales being sea creatures, are killed in International Waters. If whaling was resumed for commercial purposes it would be difficult to police any sort of quota imposed on by the International community to ensure they don't reach endangered levels.
(#26 (permalink))
Old
Mehmet (Offline)
New to JF

12-11-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangGuy View Post
"If you can eat Kangaroo, a wild animal that is hunted, why can't you eat whale, another wild animal that is hunted?"
Answer: Because there are ton of kangaroo in australia, And not many whales.
(#27 (permalink))
Old
TheUnknown (Offline)
JF Old Timer

12-11-2008, 01:57 AM

WHALE
POPULATION:

Refer To First 3 Pic.
REF: Population Estimates

As You Can See, They Are Just Estimate And Far From Perfect.

JAPAN KILL COUNT:

Japan has killed 8,201 minke whales in the Antarctic for “scientific purposes” since the moratorium in 1986. A total of 840 whales were killed by Japan under special permit during the 31 years before the moratorium1.

Japan took a total of 866 whales in 2006/07 season:
  • 3 Southern Hemisphere fin whales,
  • 508 Southern Hemisphere minke whales,
  • 197 North Pacific minke whales,
  • 51 North Pacific Brydes whales,
  • 101 North Pacific sei whales,
  • 6 North Pacific sperm whales.2
The 2005/06 season was the first time Japan had taken fin whales, an endangered species.

Japan have previously announced that in the 2007-08 they will increase their take of fin whales to 50, and also take 50 humpback whales as part of their “scientific whaling” programme.

1) Info from IWC 58 Workshop document on Fin Whales WKM-AWI8

2) Info from IWC website submitted by the Government of New Zealand
REF: WWF - IWC 59 Whaling Facts/Figures

Japan Is Not The Only Country That Involves In Whaling, Others Include Norway And Iceland. Since This Is About Japan Only, I Have Chose Not To Include The Total KIll Count.
As You Can See 2006/07 season, The Kill Count Was Not Too Outrageous Out of The Total Estimate, But Keep In Mind That The Estimates Are And Can Be Unreliable.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

KANGAROO
POPULATION:

Refer To the Last Pic.
REF: 2007 Population estimates for kangaroos within the commercial harvest areas

Needless To Explain Here. Very Straightforward.

AUSTRALIA KILL COUNT:

Quote:
The 2000 kangaroo kill quota is 5, 516, 225 but the quota figures do not represent the total kill of kangaroos as the federal Government is able to set quotas for export only. Kangaroos are killed as a renewable resource. This means that kangaroos can now be legally killed simply because they are there. There is an illegal kill, a kill to feed farmers dogs, a road kill, a sadistic cruelty kill. In fact, Australia now exposes generations of young children to a killing regime which teaches them that kangaroos have no value unless they are commercially killed for profit.
REF:Kangaroo Kill Quotas

Quote:
Wildlife Protection Association of Australia president Pat O'Brien backed Japan. "Nobody would seriously think that Australia has any right to criticise Japan for its whaling while we are killing three and a half million kangaroos every year for dog food," he said.
REF: AdelaideNow... Roo cull 'threatens whale ban'

I Guess That's What Happens When You Just Have So Many 'kangaroos', You Feed It To The Dogs.. So You Tell Me 'What Is The Different?'
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (34.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (46.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (39.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (51.1 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by TheUnknown : 12-11-2008 at 02:24 AM.
(#28 (permalink))
Old
Ronin4hire (Offline)

12-11-2008, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Japan Is Not The Only Country That Involves In Whaling, Others Include Norway And Iceland. Since This Is About Japan Only, I Have Chose Not To Include The Total KIll Count.
As You Can See 2006/07 season, The Kill Count Was Not Too Outrageous Out of The Total Estimate, But Keep In Mind That The Estimates Are And Can Be Unreliable.

I Guess That's What Happens When You Just Have So Many 'kangaroos', You Feed It To The Dogs.. So You Tell Me 'What Is The Different?'
For one thing... Kangaroos are found only in Australia. Unlike Kangaroos, Whales frequent many countries waters and are hunted in International waters therefore whaling is an International concern.

I really don't know too much about the Kangaroo issue but that's for Australian environmentalists and Australians to deal with.