JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#51 (permalink))
Old
SephirothVVC (Offline)
Death Is The Cure

Send a message via MSN to SephirothVVC Send a message via Skype™ to SephirothVVC
12-04-2008, 08:02 PM

lets assume they are going to make a game that uses up most of the space on this 400GB disc. how much would making that game cost? how much time would it take? how many people would it take? could the game console handle having to search for each item on that disc and displaying it all on the screen? and finally, i think the price WE the consumer would have to pay would skyrocket. would it be the same price of buying 12 games?!

"I despise practically everything about human life, which does limit one's weekend activities."
(#52 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
12-04-2008, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
There have been games that have used most, if not all of the Blu-ray on PS3. Uncompressed audio takes up a lot of space.
true, MGS4 used almost all of the space on a DL BD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
FFXIII is estimated at 3~4 discs for the 360 version.
This is of course purely fan speculation, there has been no official statement by Square on this topic.

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#53 (permalink))
Old
MMM (Offline)
JF Ossan

12-04-2008, 08:25 PM

People are already DLing tons of games for all three console game systems. "World of Goo" is one of the highest rated Wii games ever, and it is only available by DL.

I am not sure how you can argue that DD is not the wave of the future when it is already happening.

We are seeing it happening in gaming today. We are seeing fiber optic lines spreading like tentacles across the US and we have already seen how people have embraced the technology in not only music, but in PC software, as well. I can't even remember the last time I went to a computer store and bought a box with a program in it.

Yes, there are people that will always want to buy their CDs to have a physical copy. But I think it calling iPods a "fad" is a bold and risky statement. As technology makes music transfer easier and easier, the need for fragile CDs is reduced. I remember 25 years ago people talking about how they would never give up their records because they sound so much better than "digital CDs". People complained that the CDs were too small, and the shrunken cover art would keep people from wanting them. True music lovers would never buy CDs

But the younger generation had no passion for the big clunky records and art.
We know what happened in the end.

I am not going to predict the future, and I never said physical media will be completely eliminated, but digital download is where I would put my bet for the present and future gaming systems.
(#54 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

12-04-2008, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM View Post
I am not going to predict the future, and I never said physical media will be completely eliminated, but digital download is where I would put my bet for the present and future gaming systems.
I can argue it because it simply isn't a fool proof option yet. Just because people download a game or two, it doesn't make a particular technology "the wave of the future".
I've been downloading games myself for years. Stuff like "Steam" has been available on the PC for some time. I've downloaded a few games from there but the annoyance of having to redownload games everytime I format or something, makes me just want a hard copy which I can refer to whenever I want, without having to wait an hour or two before I can reinstall something.
Its difficult to get people to relate when they haven't downloaded and installed WoW over the internet.
It took a total of 7 hours because Blizzards P2P filesharing is so crap.

I'm afraid I don't put my bet in it either, just because CD/DVDs are nothing like Vinyl (so the comparison is moot) and it's way less riskier to have a hard copy game or piece of software, than a DD one.
Like I said before, the prices of reliable hardware will have to come down by a lot for this method to be a viable option.
Storing things on CD/DVDs are way less risky than on a hard drive. The only risk involved is human error and how he/she takes care of their copies.

So, find a better storage solution, better download software, less stingy ISPs and perhaps an option for relevant media memerobilia to be sent via post (like the cd booklets etc) and you might have a case.

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers

Last edited by ivi0nk3y : 12-04-2008 at 09:58 PM.