JapanForum.com  

LinkBack Thread Tools
(#1 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

Send a message via MSN to XjapanFOREVER
400gb blu-ray disc works on current players - 12-03-2008, 10:38 PM

the new 16 layer blu-ray disc by Pioneer has been proven to work on current blu-ray players, including the PS3.

They won't be available until 2010 though. Just in time for Hideo Kojima's (KONAMI) next game.

400gb.... how many XBOX 360 discs (DVD's) is that?!

any thoughts...
I'm personally still wondering exactly where video games can go from here.

Pioneer shows off 16-layer 400GB Blu-ray Disc, affirms compatibility with current players - Engadget

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#2 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)
Busier Than Shinjuku Station

12-03-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XjapanFOREVER View Post
400gb.... how many XBOX 360 discs (DVD's) is that?!
A fair few I imagine but no-one is going to make use of the extra 300 or so GB's cuz since all the games come out on xbox anyways then their gonna have to be equal unless you want Snake's next outing's cutscenes to be comparable to lord of the rings in length and excitement.. groan.

Before you start, I have all 3 current gen consoles.. so yeah.. hush.

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#3 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

12-03-2008, 10:52 PM

I have the 360, and I still hate it. I bought it fro Star Ocean 4, which releases in March, I've played all the the multi-platform games that my friends have on the 360 that I have the ps3 counter-part to and I prefer the ps3 version better.

anyways, this isn't about which console you prefer.

I really didn't mind the lengthy cut-scenes in MGS4, the story was really intriguing, well inter-woven with the series, and well-written, that's all that matters.

LittleBigPlanet was pushing 40gb, so in theory, it's not that far-fetched a good portion of these discs could be used.

Microsoft is making computer's just like air conditioners; they work properly until you open WINDOWS.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
cridgit001 (Offline)
JF Old Timer

Send a message via AIM to cridgit001
12-03-2008, 11:00 PM

Things will go to digital distribution way before we come close to 400 gigs with games.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

12-03-2008, 11:05 PM

as you know, Polyphonic digital displayed GT5 in 2160p, which is double the aspect ratio of current full HD, it was run by using 4 ps3's, each one responsible for running 1/4 of the display.

Moore's law states that processing power doubles every 18 months. So in theory, it's possible to have games that top 400gb by next gen, the technology should exist by then

(#6 (permalink))
Old
ivi0nk3y (Offline)
Calm Like A Bomb

12-03-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridgit001 View Post
Things will go to digital distribution way before we come close to 400 gigs with games.
Why do you say that?

Truth Hurts

LIFE THREATENING
Lifestyles
A HITMAN, A NUN
Lovers
(#7 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

12-03-2008, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cridgit001 View Post
not if us nerds have our way!

400GBs though.. thats half the HDD on my PC! I dont know what they would do with all that space though..

LBP2 - Not So Small Anymore!

I'm sorry for all the bad stuff I said and all the feelings I hurt.. Please forgive me
(#8 (permalink))
Old
XjapanFOREVER (Offline)
In X we Trust

12-03-2008, 11:11 PM

yea, seriously.

I like LBP but I personally don't think it's a console seller like SONY thought.

anywho, I wonder how big Heavy Rain will be... it's looks pretty intense.

(#9 (permalink))
Old
Tyrien (Offline)
I'm e-vincible.

12-03-2008, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAD0W View Post
A fair few I imagine but no-one is going to make use of the extra 300 or so GB's cuz since all the games come out on xbox anyways then their gonna have to be equal unless you want Snake's next outing's cutscenes to be comparable to lord of the rings in length and excitement.. groan.

Before you start, I have all 3 current gen consoles.. so yeah.. hush.
You obviously don't understand the difference between a DVDs structure, and Blu-rays. DVDs read data faster near the center of the disc and slower near the outside. Blu-ray reads constant across all of that. One of the things developers do to combat the slower-load time of the PS3 1x blu-ray drive have the same data multiple times on the disc. PS3 games in general tend to take up more space on the blu-ray than their 360 counterpart because of this. Also there's compression to consider. This is especially true for audio compression. 7.1 surround sound to be exact. Heavenly Sword also filled over 10GB in audio alone.

Shouldn't be saying that won't be used either. Kojima managed to almost fill an entire 50GB blu-ray with all the cut scenes and HD audio. Even more space would allow for multiple language options on the same disc, as well as extra content like making of, and bonus features to grant a greater draw to buy the game. So it's meaningless information for 360, but opens up more possiblities for PS3 developers.

Tyrien.DeviantArt~
As of 08/11/2008 5:33 PM Eastern Standard time I now officially own:
Miyavi, Kyo, Yuusuke, Maya, Gou, Aki, Aoi, Jun, Yusa, Jui, Key, Heechul, Yesung, Riku, Kei, Jyou, Satoshi, Takeru, Sin, Teddyloid, ♀Yooh♂, Reo, Tomoya, Tatsuro, Hitsugi, Kyoharu, Takanori Nishikawa, Jay Chou, Hirokai, Die, Kaoru, Shinya, and Toshiya.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
SHAD0W (Offline)

12-03-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyrien View Post
You obviously don't understand the difference between a DVDs structure..
You lost me at that point. Too long, didn't read.